After a huge success in the pilot programme launched in February this year the Frederik Van Zyl Slabbert Institute for Student Leadership Development (FVZS) and Focus Coaching will be opening the course to students in the second semester starting on the 18th August.
Students who attended the course have not only gained new skills, but are paying it forward in dynamic goal setting and mentoring discussions with other students on campus. Comments received from students include:
- “the course exceeded my expectations and included the main aspects of coaching and mentoring including all the (behind the scenes) work”
- “the course equips you with skills on how to talk about things so as to set important goals that would help you achieve your plans in life”
- “the course has introduced a philosophy and culture of coaching/mentoring with vibrancy in one’s everyday life”
This short course enables you as an aspiring mentor or student leader to have dynamic and meaningful conversations with your mentees by teaching you to switch from instructional or advice driven conversations to that of a coaching mentor. The results will allow your mentees to move forward with greater self-confidence and ability to focus on important behaviours and processes needed to make sustainable decisions in life and career.
The programme content includes, current day mentorship, mentoring leadership, coaching conversations and goal setting models.
Students will have option to attend the course either on a Monday evening or Saturday morning starting on the 18th August. The course will run for six weeks with a break in the middle of September for student vacation.
The Advanced Mentoring: Coaching Conversations is an accredited NQF Level 6 Stellenbosch University short course and as such, upon satisfactory completion of the course you shall receive a certificate in Advanced Mentoring: Coaching Conversations.
In order to apply please submit the following documents via email to email@example.com
(email subject: Advanced Mentor Application) by midnight 10 August 2012.
- A maximum 1page CV of relevant information pertaining to the course (please be sure to include cell no, email address and student no);
- A letter of motivation as to why you would like to participate in the course.
The course costs R1150 and shall be deducted from participants’ student accounts upon selection to the course. Alternatively students may pay the course fee in cash at the FVZS Institute offices.
Please note that information provided or mentioned in this document may be amended or changed without prior notification. Any relevant or material changes will be communicated to course participants.