At our last discussion concerning a possible link with IDASA we mentioned the following points and possibilities:
- IDASA (and specifically ILEDA) has a range of current programmes focussed on youth leadership development. Through the Frederik van Zyl Slabbert Institute for Student Leadership Development students at Stellenbosch University can be exposed to these programmes
- The possibility of joint research projects where discussed. Here the focus will be on democracy and human rights in the context of Higher Education in Africa
- The possibility of a joint programme (co-curricular) was discussed. The content of this programme – in the form of an accredited short course – is on the table. The content can jointly be decided on. SU academics and students will be involved
- Joint exchange opportunities and links with students from other universities. Here the focus will be on exposure and contact with students/young leaders from other universities and contexts
- Inter-generational discussion. As with the point above conversations across different ‘borders’ can boost an understanding of democracy
- Link with the Goree Institute. A link with this Institute and a possible annual tour to the Institute to trace the footsteps of Dr Van Zyl Slabbert will be of great value. Perhaps a partnership with IDASA is possible?
Critical thinking, exposure to different contexts and people representative of a variety of institutions and contexts as well as an African contextual understanding of democracy, human rights, and diversity, forms the golden thread that run through the abovementioned?
Feel free to add on, comment and discuss the abovementioned. From here the conversation will move towards further conversations with SU academics and with representatives of IDASA on 20 April 2011.
Continue Reading →