Language:
SEARCH
  • Recent Posts

• Categories

• Archives

Beware of suspect phone calls

If you receive a call at home from someone who claims to be a Microsoft representative, the odds that it’s a variation of the Indian phone scam is most likely.

These fraudsters target phone numbers everywhere to try and con computer users into installing malware and spyware on their pc’s by claiming they’re ridding the said pc of all kinds of viruses and threats.

The caller claims that the security settings on their pc has to be updated and after this is done, they ask your credit card number for payment of their service.

Do not fall for these scam artists. Ask yourself how they know know you have a pc? Did they address you on your name and have your details (contact numbers, etc)? Did they specifically state their company’s name? The odds that someone will call you out of the blue to assist you with computer updates are in all probability less than zero.

More info on this scam:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/phone-call-scams/aefc50a4-d7a4-4c79-8db5-2fafcd6ad196

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/03/21/joe-oconnor-microsoft-windows-scam-a-grift-that-keeps-giving-for-cyber-crooks/

One Response to “Beware of suspect phone calls”

1. andrew says:

There’s this anonymous number that calls several times a day, both on my home and on my cell phone. It starts out with a recording that says Microsoft has detected a virus in my computer and to press 1 to speak with a representative. I did and asked for the person’s name. She just ‘what’ and promptly hung up. I wondered why the caller took time to make the call and then hung up when I answered. I reported the call to Callercenter.com to raise a warning.

© 2013-2024 Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s) and content contributor(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by Stellenbosch University.