Language:
SEARCH
  • Recent Posts

• Categories

• Archives

Multi-factor authentication (MFA) FAQs

Information Technology recently enabled MFA for our staff and students. From mid-August all staff and students will be required to use multi factor authentication to secure their information and the university’s network. 

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 

What is MFA?  

Multi-Factor Authentication adds a second layer of security to your account to ensure that your account stays safe, even if someone else knows your password. This will mean that, for certain services, you will be prompted to provide more information in order to authenticate your identity as a Stellenbosch University student or staff member. More about MFA here. 

Why is it so important that I enrol for MFA?  

By enrolling for MFA, you ensure that your account is more secure. 

How do I enrol for MFA? 

By following the steps set out in the .pdf document. 

What must I do if the document does not open? 

If the document does not open, it could be due to a slow internet connection or you do not have a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Acrobat) installed. Please also clear your browser history or try to open the link in a different browser.  

How can a PDF reader be installed? 

Please raise a request on the ICT Partner Portal that is available at https://servicedesk.sun.ac.za  

What can I do if I have problems to enrol for MFA? 

If you are struggling to enrol for MFA, please log a request on the ICT Partner Portal and a technician will contact you.  

When do I have to enrol for MFA? 

Please enrol for MFA as soon as possible. You have a choice to enrol for 14 days after the email was sent to you from IT communication. After the 14 days have passed you will not have a choice and you will have to enrol for MFA. 

How will I know that I have successfully enrolled for MFA? 

A confirmation message will be displayed on the last screen of the enrolment process. 
You are now enrolled for Multi Factor Authentication via SMS.

What must I do if I don’t see the  screens as indicated on the enrolment document? 

Raise a request on the ICT Partner Portal at https://servicedesk.sun.ac.za  

Will I be charged for the MFA authentication SMS’s? 

No, the SMS’s are at the cost of the University. 

Can I enrol for MFA if I stay in an area without cell phone signal? 

No, you need a cellphone with reception to enrol for MFA.

Which IT services will be activated for MFA? 

Communication will be sent by IT communications to inform staff and students about the services that will be activated for MFA. 

What will happen if a service is activated for MFA? 

Before you can access the service you will be requested to enter the one-time pin number that will be sent to the cell phone number that you have indicated during the enrolment process. 

© 2013-2020 Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s) and content contributor(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by Stellenbosch University.