So what is ECM?
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) is the strategies, methods and tools used to capture, manage, store, preserve, and deliver content and documents related to organizational processes. ECM covers the management of information within the entire scope of an enterprise whether that information is in the form of a paper document, an electronic file, a database print stream, or even an email.
Ok, so what does this actually mean and how will it make my life easier? ECM will simplify your workday in the following ways:
- Less paper to file and organise. At last the paperless office!
- Keeping track of all you documents. Documents will be in one central place, not on pc’s of four different people.
- Better compliancy
- Accessible from anywhere – whether you’re on holiday in Margate or sitting in a boardroom in Cape Town.
- No more confusion when it comes to too many versions of critical documents. Gone are the days of last minute confusion before a meeting to find the latest version of your document.
- Easy to retrieve. No more heaps of paper to sort through or disorganised folders on your pc.
- Safety of documents not on site in case of fire.
The concept of ECM isn’t an entirely new one on campus. At the moment SharePoint Team sites are used to a lesser extent as a tool. However to make full use of the advantages of ECM, a whole new generation of SharePoint will be implemented shortly.
This implementation is the first step of a bigger project which will, at a later stage, also include Business Intelligence. On a more practical level this platform will also be used to host the websites on campus.
Through the whole process IT will be communicating the development of the project to campus and there will be ample opportunity for all those currently involved in team sites to attend training days. For other interested parties information sessions will be held to give a broader overview of the project.