SU biofuels expert to address energy sector in Cape Town
Stellenbosch University biofuels expert Prof Emile van Zyl will share his views on the challenges and opportunities facing sustainable biofuel production in Southern Africa at the next Cape Town event in the South African National Energy Association (SANEA) lecture series, to be held on 21 September.
Prof Van Zyl holds the Senior Chair in Energy Research: Biofuels and other alternative clean fuels (funded by Department of Science and Technology) in the Department of Microbiology at Stellenbosch University.
At the recent SANAE awards ceremony in Pretoria, he was highly commended for the work he is doing in steering a large research programme at Stellenbosch University that focuses on biofuels production. The team is developing advanced second generation technologies (both biochemical and thermochemical processes) with the aim of converting total plant biomass to biofuels. The group has established collaboration with researchers in Europe and the USA, particularly in the field of biomass conversion to bioethanol.
Prof Van Zyl has several joint international patents in these fields, and has gained international recognition as research leader in the development of recombinant yeast for biofuel production from total plant biomass.
- Prof Van Zyl’s lecture takes place on Wednesday 21 September at 17:30 for 18:00 at the Engen Petroleum Ltd Conference Centre in Thibault Square in Cape Town. (Please click here for a map and directions).
For more information, contact Virosha at the SANEA Secretariat at email@example.com or (031) 368-8000.
- World experts to discuss biobased economy
- Post-Graduate Programme in Biofuels
- PhD Student Winschau Fayghan van Zyl Wins Best Poster Award @ the 9th Biotechnology Congress of America
- MSc student Steffi Davison tutoring primary school learners at Lynedoch Primary School
- Domestic Rainwater Harvesting Solar Pasteurization Treatment Systems in Enkanini Informal Settlement (Stellenbosch)