Six curious Grade 11 learners from Bernadino Heights High School visited the Department of Microbiology on Thursday, 28 March 2013. During their site visit, the learners had the opportunity to meet with postgraduate students and ask questions about studying Microbiology at Stellenbosch University.
Miss Veronique Meyer talked to the learners about the field of Microbiology, why it is so important to study microorganisms and their interactions with their environment as well as the commercial applications of microorganisms. Dr Khan shared with them the programme and curriculum details and what school subjects are required for admission to study at Stellenbosch University. Miss Isa Marx then gave the learners an informative tour of the facilities and laboratories in the department, with a special focus on the research activities of each research group in the department.
Judging from the many questions that followed, this experience was an eye opener to the learners and their curiosity in Microbiology was certainly awakened!
Here is a photo gallery of the school visit:
- World experts to discuss biobased economy
- Post-Graduate Programme in Biofuels
- PhD Student Winschau Fayghan van Zyl Wins Best Poster Award @ the 9th Biotechnology Congress of America
- MSc student Steffi Davison tutoring primary school learners at Lynedoch Primary School
- Domestic Rainwater Harvesting Solar Pasteurization Treatment Systems in Enkanini Informal Settlement (Stellenbosch)