The University Museum is based in the Eben Dönges Centre, formerly the Bloemhof School for Girls, built in 1907 and used as a school till 1986. The building was declared a National Monument in 1979. Sasol Limited donated a substantial amount of money to restore and transform the building into a cultural centre. It opened its doors to the public in 1991. Part of the centre is the Sasol Art Museum which houses the Stellenbosch University’s permanent collection of paintings, graphic works and sculptures, as well as an anthropological collection. A cultural history section is also active in the Museum. Regular temporary art exhibitions of national and international artists are presented, as well as permanent exhibitions of the visual art collections, anthropological and cultural historical objects, and the University history.
The US Art Gallery, a satellite of the US Museum in the town centre, is operated as a semi-commercial gallery. This satellite of the US Museum is situated in a building that once served as a Lutheran Church. It was designed and built in 1854 by the renowned architect and builder Carl Otto Hager. In 1969 the Rupert family donated the building to the University and it became the first University Museum.
- No categories