SU Choir presents a programme of choral music to be performed at the World Choir Games in July 2010
The Stellenbosch University Choir, conducted by André van der Merwe, is planning to take part in the World Choir Games in China during July this year. The World Choir Games is one of the most prestigious international choral competitions and choirs can only participate on invitation.
A few years ago the SU Choir, also conducted by André van der Merwe, was crowned world champion performer of sacred choral music at the previous World Choir Games. This year the choir has 114 members and is probably the biggest SU Choir this century – a whole stage full! During July the choir will travel to China to defend the World Champion title in Shaoxing.
The choice of music to be presented by the SU Choir during concerts in April and May varies from sacred choral music to popular songs to contemporary choral music.
The sacred music includes a choral work titled Bogoroditse Devo (Ave Maria) composed by the Russian-American Sergey Khvoshchinskiy and Magnificat-Gloria, a recent composition by Alberto Grau from Venezuela.
Popular works like Viva la Vida (as performed by Coldplay) and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen will be performed by the choir.
The final part of the programme consists of contemporary choral works. A composition byLojze Lebic from Slovenia, titled Zoper Kacji Pik, is a song about a spell against snake bite – according to folklore. Peteris Vasks from Latvia used word sounds in his composition Carnival Song to create the atmosphere of a carnival. Two works by André van der Merwe and a composition by Jaako Mäntyjärvi’s Double Double Toil and Trouble (from Shakespeare Songs) end the programme on a dramatic note.
Music lovers have a choice of concerts during April and May:
- Thursday 29 April 13:10 – Lunch Hour Concert – Endler Hall, Stellenbosch - entrance free
- Friday 30 April 19:30 – Concert at Welgelegen Dutch Reformed Church, Stellenbosch – entrance R40 at the doors
- Sunday 2 May 16:30 - US Choir and Stellenberg Girls Choir in Hugo Lambrechts Auditorium, Parow – entrance R60 at the doors
- Sunday 9 May 16:30 – Full Concert - Endler Hall, Stellenbosch - Tickets available at Computicket @R85 and R65 (Computicket service fee excluded)
- Tuesday 18 May 19:30 – Cultural exchange, US Choir and North Arizona University Choir – Endler Hall - entrance free
For further enquiries please contact Lydia Meier: tel 021-808-2381 or e-mail email@example.com or cell 082 468 0652