Explosions of sound and colour at annual RAG Floats
Various childhood favourites made an appearance in the floats – among them were Fred Flinstone, Mike – the green monster from Toy Story, Spongebob Squarepants and even Moomin. Drum majorettes and the Cape Minstrels contributed to the carnaval-like feel of the day.
Thousands of people gathered along the streets to see the hard (and handy) work of residence pairs. To message to act responsibly was portrayed in many of the floats – some complete with coffins and tombstones as warning of the early death which sometimes accompany irresponsible behaviour.
Lydia and Dagbreek’s float really had the crowd talking. Their float had a huge face of the Joker, a character from the DC comic series, Batman, on the front. It was quite impressive with its green hair and huge characteristic smile.
RAG (Remember and Give) is not only a time for fun and team work, but is also a time during which students are made aware of how they can get involved in the greater Stellenbosch community. All funds raised by RAG are donated to Matie Community Service.
- 7 – 11 February: Coca–Cola Big bleed
- Dinsdag 8 February: Matie Community Service day
- Wednesday 9 February: ARA Buddy day
- Friday 1 April: Eikendal RAG ball
- For more information visit the RAG office on the fourth floor of the Neelsie or call 021 808 3632/ 3632 or visit www.matiesjool.co.za