USBD warning: theft inside SU buildings
The USBD is currently experiencing many reports of thefts inside academic and administration buildings on the Stellenbosch campus. In most cases theft occurred inside offices, lecture halls and /or computer rooms. Computer processing units were targeted where doors were closed but not locked.
Please make a note of the following tips:
- Whenever you leave your office, lecture hall or computer room, lock the door, even if it is just for five minutes. Close all the windows. Even windows with burglar bars, especially on the ground floor.
- Do not leave office, lecture hall or computer room keys hidden in an expected area such as under a doormat.
- Avoid leaving valuable items near open windows. Ensure that windows are also closed during night time as well.
- When storing valuable items such as a purse or a wallet, lock it in a cabinet.
- Do not keep large sums of money in your office.
Know the telephone numbers of the USBD, 021-808 2330/2333 (Stellenbosch campus) and 021 938-9507 (Tygerberg campus), as well as the SAPS emergency 10111 number. Obtain a good description of any suspicious people and report it to the USBD immediately.