Break-ins on campus worrysome
The USBD is currently experiencing many reports of break-ins inside hostels on the Stellenbosch campus.
There are cases where objects, such as paper, were found placed over magnets at access doors thus creating free entry for any person. Once access was gained, door locks were broken. Doors were closed but not locked and/or doors were simply left open. Windows were left open.
Please remember the following tips:
- Refrain from giving access to unknown people.
- Do not lend your access card to someone.
- Whenever you leave your hostel room, lock the door, even if it is JUST FOR FIVE minutes. Close all the windows. Even windows with burglar bars, especially on the ground floor.
- Make use of good quality padlocks instead of combination locks.
- Refrain from “fake locking” your hostel rooms.
- Avoid leaving valuable items near open windows. Ensure that windows are also closed during night time as well.
- Do not leave hostel room keys hidden in an expected area such as under a doormat.
- When storing valuable items such as a purse or a wallet, lock it in a cabinet.
Remember, suspects pose as students which make them less conspicuous!
- Know the telephone numbers of the USBD, 021-808 2330/2333 (Stellenbosch campus) and 021 938-9507 (Tygerberg campus), as well as the SAPS emergency 10111 number. Obtain a good description of any suspicious people and report it to the USBD immediately.