Fire safety: Important tips for staff and students
During these colder winter months, we tend to make use of heaters in offices and residences. These appliances often lead to fires which cause loss of assets, time and lives.
These losses can be easily prevented and Risk and Security Services is offering the following tips to prevent fires caused by heaters and overloaded or faulty electrical connections:
- Choose a heater that has been tested and certified by the SABS and meets the required safety standards.
- Do not use a heater that is obviously old and possibly faulty.
- Do not use extension cords with heaters.
- Set heaters where there is no traffic flow in the room.
- Keep flammable materials (curtains, bedding) a safe distance from heaters.
- Don’t leave cables where they can be tripped over.
- Never leave heaters on chairs, desks or uneven surfaces.
- Make sure not to overload the plug at the wall.
- Never leave heaters or any appliance on when unattended.
A reminder from the yearbook that no open-element heaters, electrical blankets, submersible cookers or microwaves are allowed in hostel rooms.