Research assistants vacancies 2013 – Carnegie Research Commons
The Carnegie Research Commons is a high-level research environment for exclusive use by masters and doctoral students, as well as researchers. The primary aim of the Research Commons is to enhance the Library’s contribution to postgraduate through-put and research output by providing a conducive environment for research. The Research Commons offers researchers the flexibility of conversing in seminar or discussion rooms, relieve stressed minds in a comfortable lounge area or engage in rigorous self-study.
The Library hereby invite senior students (advanced masters or doctoral students) with a strong interest in research to apply for posts as research assistants. Successful candidates will be required to provide fellow post-graduate students in the Research Commons with general research support, assist with IT trouble shooting, bibliographic enquiries and other activities.
• Full-time Masters or Doctoral student
• Excellent computer skills
• Strong sense of responsibility / taking ownership
• Excellent interpersonal skills and service orientation
• Excellent knowledge of software packages such as MS Office, the Windows environment, the Internet, the computerised library catalogue (SunSearch) and other electronic databases
• Available to work for approximately 15-20 hours (3 shifts) per week
• Available to attend the compulsory training programme in January 2013.
Interviews: End of November.
Period of employment: 7 January 2013 until 20 December 2013
Remuneration: R37.43 per hour
Applications: Applicants must submit a CV and cover letter highlighting suitability for the post to Ms Marié Roux, Research Commons, JS Gericke Library or send it by e-mail to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 20 November 2012
Enquiries: Marié Roux, 021 808 2623