In this edition:
- Meet the 65th Gough Island Overwintering Team
- The first birthday party of G65
Gough65 celebrating team member, Bubele Nongwejana’s birthday. Photo: Thendo Sikhwari
- September weather
- and more…
- click here to view more photos of Bubele Nongwejana enjoying his birthday party.
Anché Louw, Antarctic Legacy of South Africa, 24 October 2019
The S.A. Agulhas II departed from the Port of Cape Town at around 10pm, 02 September 2019 and will return on 07 October 2019. Click here to view the voyage schedule.
Who is onboard:
- The 65th Gough Island overwintering team – this team will be joined by the Gough64 field assistants forming part of Gough65.
- Scientists from South African Weather Service, University of Pretoria and Nelson Mandela University.
- Advanced party of the Gough Island Restoration Team led by Andrew Callender (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds).
- Team to deploy the new Gough Island emergency hut led by Dr Guy Preston.
- Team of the Department of Public Works.
- Logistics and coordinating team from the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF).
- Passengers on their way to Tristan da Cunha.
- Read more here.
|Mr Errol Julies ||Communication/Electronics Engineer and Team Leader
|Mr Thendo Sikhwari ||Senior Meteorological Technician and Deputy Team Leader
|Ms Michelle Risi-Jones ||Field Assistant and Deputy Team Leader- Scientific
|Mr Dylan Seaton||Meteorological Technician
|Ms Siyasanga Mphehle||Meteorological Technician
|Mr Thabiso Maphumulo||Electrician
|Mr Bubele Nongwejana||Medical Orderly
|Mr Gilbert Kgang||Diesel Mechanic
|Mr Christopher Jones||Field Assistant
|Mr Alexis Osborne||Field Assistant
L-R: Bubele Nongwejana, Thabiso Maphumulo, Gilbert Kgang, Errol Julies, Thendo Sikhwari, Siyasanga Mphehle and Dylan Seaton.
Field assistants: Michelle Risi-Jones, Alexis Osborne and Christopher Jones. Photo Credit: Michelle Risi-Jones.
Meet the team leader and deputy team leader of Gough65
Anché Louw, Antarctic Legacy of South Africa, 04 September 2019