2013 March Graduation ceremony

m

From left to right:
Sibusiso Radebe, Professor Sandra Liebenberg and Dr Khulekani Moyo

The March 2013 graduation ceremony for the Faculty of Law at Stellenbosch University took place on Monday, 11 March, at the DF Malan Memorial Centre. Two postgraduate students from the SERAJ Research Project were awarded degrees at this event.

Sibusiso Radebe completed his LLM under the supervision of Professor Sandra Liebenberg. The title of his thesis is “The protection of the right of access to adequate housing by the South African Constitutional Court”. Regarding his experience at the Project, Sibusiso stated that:

“Being part of the SERAJ Research Project was one of the best decisions I ever made. It not only opened up new doors for me, but also broadened my horizons and deepened my knowledge of constitutional law; international law and local and international human rights. Finally, the project enabled me to develop and maintain new and lasting friendships and networks.”

Khulekani Moyo received his LLD degree at this event. He completed his doctorate under the supervision of Professor Sandra Liebenberg and the title of his dissertation is “Water as a human right under international human rights law: Implications for the privatisation of water services”. Regarding his experience at the Project, Khulekani remarked that:

“My doctoral research has been greatly enhanced and benefited from my membership and participation in the Socio-Economic Rights & Administrative Justice Research Project (SERAJ) at Stellenbosch University’s Faulty of Law. Founded and co-directed by the able leadership of Professors Liebenberg and Quinot, this unique and innovative project’s main objective is to enhance the responsiveness of the legal system to the problems of poverty, socio-economic vulnerability, and administrative injustice at both theoretical and practical levels. My work with SERAJ has greatly enhanced my research skills and engendered a deeper understanding of the South African, as well as the international, normative framework for the protection and enforcement of socio-economic rights. The knowledge that I have acquired through my association with SERAJ will be invaluable in my teaching, research, advocacy and litigation activities in the area of socio-economic rights.”