Alumni: Dr Margot Strauss

The March 2017 graduation ceremony for doctoral candidates in the Faculty of Law at Stellenbosch University took place on Thursday, 16 March. Margot Strauss, a postgraduate student from the Socio-Economic Rights and Administrative Justice (SERAJ) Research Project received her LLD at this event. Dr Strauss completed her dissertation, entitled “A right to the city for South Africa’s urban poor”, under the supervision of Professor Sandra Liebenberg.

Upon requesting Professor Wim de Villiers, the Vice-Chancellor, to confer the degree on Dr Strauss, Professor Liebenberg shared the following about the dissertation:

“Patterns of spatial segregation in South African towns and cities remains a persistent legacy of our apartheid past. Dismantling these patterns are critical for realising the housing rights of vulnerable and marginalised urban inhabitants. Drawing on history, social theory, constitutional and international human rights law, this dissertation investigates the value and potential of the right to the city paradigm for advancing spatial justice for South Africa’s urban poor.”

Reflecting on her experience at the SERAJ Research Project, Margot remarked that:

“Participating in the SERAJ Research Project has been an extremely valuable and enriching experience that will continue to fuel my research interests in areas of law that I am passionate about. My research benefitted greatly from the institutional support provided by Stellenbosch University’s Law Faculty and the intellectual environment nurtured by my colleagues in the SERAJ Research Project. In particular, I would like to extend my heartfelt appreciation to Professor Sandra Liebenberg, my supervisor and the co-director of the Project, for her expert guidance, careful mentorship, constructive critique, and invaluable support throughout my doctoral studies.”

Publications:

M Strauss A right to the city for South Africa’s urban poor (2017) LLD dissertation, Stellenbosch University

M Strauss & S Liebenberg “Contested spaces: Housing rights and evictions law in post-apartheid South Africa” (2014) 13(4) Planning Theory 428-448.