Alumni: Tarryn Bannister

m

Grad photoTarryn Bannister graduated from Stellenbosch University in 2007 with her BA Law degree and in 2010, she obtained her LLB. In 2011, Tarryn joined the Overarching Strategic Plan (OSP) Project on Combating Poverty, Homelessness and Socio-Economic Vulnerability under the Constitution at Stellenbosch University. She conducted the research for her LLM thesis on access to health care services for survivors of gender-based violence under the auspices of the Project and received her LLM (cum laude) in 2012.

During her LLM studies, Tarryn was afforded the opportunity to attend the Second Annual Conference on Women & Justice (on gender-based violence) in New Delhi, India. She is currently a doctoral candidate at Stellenbosch University. The provisional title of her doctoral dissertation is “Utilising relational feminism to protect the socio-economic rights of women upon the termination of domestic partnerships”. Regarding her experiences at the Project, Tarryn stated that:

“Having the opportunity to complete my LLM under the auspices of the Socio-Economic Rights & Administrative Research Project has been an incredibly enriching experience that I will never forget. The opportunity to participate in training seminars, to attend international and local academic colloquiums, while being exposed to some of the world’s leading academics has been both inspiring and educational. I am extremely grateful to the Project and its participants and I look forward to completing my doctorate under the Project.”