Summer School at the Karl-Franzen University in Graz

An International Summer School experience: Priceless

International Summer School Seggau
International Summer School Seggau

During the June/July break of 2011 I had the privilege of attending the International Summer School Seggau with the theme “US EU: Towards a Multi-cultural Continent”, which was hosted by the Karl-Franzen University in Graz. It is now my honour to briefly discuss my experiences and pose some advice to possible future Summer/Winter School representatives from the University of Stellenbosch.

My class with our Lecturer for the first week - Dr Lopatowska from Poland.

The Before:

Adequate preparation for the Summer/Winter School is vital to ensure an enhanced experience and to ensure that you might embrace the opportunity to the fullest. Try to read and analyse all academic readings you might receive beforehand. This will ensure that you have more time to network and socialize at the school itself. We often received short assignments for the following day at lectures. Those who have prepared beforehand had more leisure time and completed the assignments more efficiently.

Make sure that you have enough money to cover all possible costs involved with the Summer School. For example, I had to call the Austrian Embassy twice in order to book a meeting to apply for my VISA. One call costs R150. Other costs might include transportation to apply for your VISA, banking costs when paying your boarding costs/course fees and any additional travelling equipment you might need (e.g. a lock to secure your luggage). When applying for your VISA they might ask you how you pay for your studies here in South Africa-make sure that you have proof of a scholarships/loans in addition to all the other required documentation. When applying for your VISA, make sure you know exactly where the embassy is and try to be there at least 10 minutes in advance.

The weather and season of your destination is very important. Even though my Summer School was in Austria near the Alps, we had days where the temperature reached 36 degrees Celsius. In other words: pack according to the weather forecast, not what you perceive the weather to be like at your destination. Pack comfortable shoes-your feet will love you for it-and if you want to explore the surroundings even more, take your running/walking shoes along to make sure you do not miss out on anything the country has to offer. Furthermore, travel as light as possible. Make sure what is the luggage weight limits for the airlines you use, and leave a bit of weight and room for any presents etc. you might want to bring back home. In regards to hand luggage, try to get hold of a trolley case which you might pull along with you, especially on airports. Take your laptop with if you have one-the keyboards of the computers in Austria differ from those in RSA and the USA for example, which takes time to adjust to. If you are to attend a Summer/Winter School where English is not the first language, try getting hold of a book with the basic vocabulary of the language. This will help you in many situations.

In regards to representing your country, take along small gifts and symbols of RSA. Postcards, seeds, necklaces, teas and pictures of your country can mean a lot to friends you make at the Summer/Winter school. If the schedule indicates that there will be a international presentation during your course, think of ideas beforehand to take any props you might need along (flags, music, pictures etc).

Make sure you get adequate rest before embarking on your adventure. Try to sleep on the airplane, make sure you stay hydrated and keep moving on the flight in order to prevent a lack in energy when arriving at your destination. Emirates, Turkish Airlines, Air Malaysia and Quatar are known for their excellent service (in flight and on ground level). Try not to fly with Lufthansa or Air France-their services are sometimes not on par.

My home for the Summer School - Seggau Castle near Leibnitz Austria

Last, but not least: greet your family and friends. If you want to, take along some pictures of your loved ones-your new friends will appreciate a little insight into your world at home. Some of my Russian friends brought a board game from their country- a useful tool to break the ice and a way of sharing something own to your country which might be shared with anyone worldwide. Remember-this is an adventure of a life time and you will get out of it what you put into it. Share your expectations, fears, excitement and dreams with those close to you!

The There:

Let me make this clear: this is an adventure of a lifetime, use and absorb every possible moment! Use every opportunity to explore, make new friends, learn and teach, take part in deep and critical dialogue and do not be scared to voice your opinion or ask when you are not sure of anything. The value of your contributions and the contributions of others are invaluable in broadening horizons and bridging any borders (physical and mental). Keep up with the academic work, but do not forget to be spontaneous and random as often as the opportunity arrives. Take part in events such as karaoke evenings…you might discover hidden talents! Google any events taking place in your area. We were privileged enough to be in Graz on the day that the International Youth Choir Festival of 2011 opened. All the participants wore their national clothes and took part in a parade through the streets which finished with an open-air concert on the city plain-an event we had Googled during our stay. Travel and explore in groups no larger than 6, but no less than 3. When the group is too big, it is difficult to fulfil everyone’s needs, but your amazement with the surroundings carries more value when shared with friends.

The City Plain of Graz Austria’s second largest city. On top of the hill you can see the city’s clock tower known for the fact that its hour hand is longer than its minute hand.

However, please remember that, in order to embrace the school to the fullest, you need adequate rest and time for reflection on the events taking place. Make time to rethink what you experience and to re-cooperate by going for a jog or walk, visit a church, or take a power nap in the afternoon. Respect others when doing so- many students at my Summer school suffered from fatigue when nearing the end of the school: purely a result of failing to balance work and play. What is even more, keep contact with people at home. Some people called their homes every day, others never made contact with family or friends. There is no need for cell phone roaming for a short period of time such as a Summer/Winter school, but for your own sake and those at home, at least let them know how you are via e-mail or social networks such as Facebook. Many students Facebooked or made use of social networks during lectures. To me, this was an insult to the lecturers and uncalled for- reconsider taking your laptop to lectures/seminars.

A breathtaking view of the lake near Leibnitz from Seggau Castle

In relation to the previous mentioned remark on balancing play and work is the fact that you should use your money wisely. Try not to convert everything into Rands-you might end up buying nothing-but compare prices, buy goods as far as possible at Super Markets, as shops intended for tourists may charge substantially more for the same products you could find in Super Markets for cheaper. In Austria the “Penny Market” was really a good choice. By postcards and small memorabilia to take home and keep your luggage weight limits in mind. On the other hand, do not hesitate to pay to visit museums, concerts etc. as it is often at these places you learn a lot about the country and its people. Remember to mention that you are a student and show your student card, as many places give discounts for students.

I was privileged enough to receive three meals a day at my Summer School. Try something new every day, but do not over do it as you might upset your stomach if your body is not use to many new tastes and flavours. A Macedonian friend of mine turned ill the on the first day of the summer school when eating something to rich for her to digest. This may hamper your experience severely. However, make use of the opportunity to discover new drinks, tastes and cuisine in general. I think I might have had a love relationship with the berries from the region-it is so good! And I learned from my Russian friends that Vodka with lime is an easy and light drink when enjoyed in moderation. I had many insightful conversations at the table and standing in line to be served-use these opportunities to learn more about other cultures and traditions. For example discussing traditional foods and drinks, uses, events and even what is served at weddings!

While in conversations at International Summer/Winter Schools it is of great importance to remain open-minded and non-judgemental. Stay true to your own values and morals, but respect the choices of others. I for example believe that sex is something beautiful between two deeply committed individuals, but many of my European friends do not share this sentiment. Mutual respect is of great importance and communicating your beliefs will go far in making sure that no awkward situations arise. Keep in mind that many of the people might know little or nothing about your country. I had to answer questions like: Why are you not black? What have you done about the problem with Aborigines in your country? Do the people in South Africa still live in trees? How is your current President, Mbeki? Why do your country actively support Zimbabwe’s regime? Tolerance and patience will be your companions while making new friends and will guarantee that you and others are enriched by engaging in conversations and interaction. Remember: a stranger is just a friend you do not know…get to know as many strangers as possible!

The After:

Repacking to go home can be really tricky. It is impossible to take everything along. Leave behind any broken items, packaging and almost empty toiletries so that you might have more space for memorabilia. Saying goodbye to all your new friends is even worse. Make sure you have the contact details of your newly made friends to keep in contact-even just through Facebook/e-mail. We all invited the others to our countries- you might just have more travelling opportunities after your Summer/Winter school than you ever imagined possible! Leave something of South African with those you really bonded with-it really means a lot to them. I gave one of my Zulu-bead necklaces to a friend from Maldova and she started to cry-one really connects during such a short period of time.

Use the time on your way back home to remember your experiences-you might even pin them down in a journal. I also made a folder with the photographs family and friends at home will appreciate. You can share this folder on social network sites as well. Everyone at home will be amped to hear about your experiences, but it is impossible to and draining to share your stories with everyone individually. I gathered my friends and family in groups in which we shared stories and photographs. In this way you and they share in your rich adventure! Rest as much as possible and try to take it easy for a week after arriving back- you have a lot to digest.

To me, my International Summer was one of the most valuable experiences in my life. I came to realize how a like and how different we are from people worldwide. Sleep seems to be a scarce commodity everywhere, chocolate and coffee a treat known to all and the search for meaning a quest for all. However, my eyes where opened in many ways of how privileged I am to call myself African and South African. The energy, vibe and warmth of our people cannot be found anywhere else. Europe’s rich history and a legacy of honour is something to admire, but the way we interact, take part in dialogue, critically discuss and innovate is something we should be proud of. We have community, ambition, a strong work ethic and loyalty towards our people and peoples. We have servant leaders who inspire and motivate, not only manage. The quality, depth and worth of our education at the University of Stellenbosch are of such a high level, that I might dare to say it surpasses many I came across and heard of. Our facilities, lecturers, the opportunities we have here as students and staff of the university and the setting of our university makes it not only world class, but as I belief, in a class of its own. My friend from France commented on photos of the “Rooiplein”, “Laan” and Stellenbosch mountain by stating, “How do you study in such a beautiful place?”

The insights and learning experience at my Summer School I will always foster as an experience which deepened my knowledge and empowered me to converse in depth on many subjects, but the true value to me of an International Summer/Winter School lies in the way you come to appreciate what you have and the lifelong relationships you build with strangers who became friends.

Switzerland’s representatives wearing traditional clothes during the during the International Youth Choir festivals opening parade in Graz.
KARAOKE
Opening doors with my new friends from Macedonia and Maldova - Eva and Patricia
Maldova, France and South Africa ready to make tea, not war, in the office of Graz’s Mayor