Jodi in Amsterdam

ARRIVAL:

I begin this post having just completed an assignment, and mentally preparing myself for a night of revelries. That sentence pretty much sums up my first month in Amsterdam, work and parties. I suppose I have to mention bicycles as well.

Biking to the clerb

As far as work goes apparently most people come on exchange with an incredibly low credit load, I wish someone had told me that! Most of my friends have class two days a week; I’m working on 42 credits in the first two blocks so my hours are somewhat more demanding. Significantly more demanding in fact, the three hour lectures take some adjusting to. Despite the fact that I seem to have much more class time than others, I am finding the work load very manageable, I hope these words do not become ironic.

As far as the parties go, I’m still trying to figure out if it’s an Amsterdam-thing or an exchange-thing, but there are definitely a lot of options! Unlike the beloved Stellenbosch, clubs here do not close at 2am, in fact, some people only arrive at 2am. Most nights I get home around 4 or 5 in the morning, and usually a highly confusing bicycle ride is involved. The festivities never disappoint, there is a scene for every type of person, it is really a fantastic place.

The culture in Amsterdam is also amazing! I get swept up in all the street art, second hand stores and fresh food markets on a daily basis, probably the main reason I’m always late for class. There is just so much to see, unfortunately that also involves there being so much to spend. I’ve had to stop myself from trying to work out how much certain things would cost me in Rands, it’s just too painful.

The being away from home part has been pretty easy to adjust to, I have yet to experience this “culture shock” I was warned about. I have had the odd off day, but that is mostly brought on by me desperately missing my boyfriend. Yes, I have a boyfriend, and we decided to do long distance, cue the eye roll! Most of my new friends were also in relationships which they respectively choose to end upon coming on exchange. I really do understand their choices and that was actually the plan my boyfriend and I had in the beginning when I decided to go on exchange, but we decided it was worth a try so here we are. Trying has actually been the best decision by far for me; every day I spent away from him makes it more obvious to me that I am truly committed to making it work. I feel like the best advice I can give on this topic is that you really need to reflect on your relationship, imagine the reason for your break up being that you were leaving to go on exchange, does that seem right? It didn’t for me, and I could not be happier to still be with him.

Being in Europe opens up a world of possibilities, everyone travels whenever they can, I’m headed to Munich for October Fest in about a week! To summarise, this place is fantastic, I am in love with Amsterdam, come on exchange.

HALFWAY MARK:

Amsterdam has taken me as one of its own; I am already dreading the thought of leaving this fantastic place! The beauty and magic of the city is intoxicating, I feel dazed by the cultural and social experiences I have had.

Having now settled into a group of friends that are regarded more like a family I feel like I have truly committed to being on this exchange. Things with my boyfriend are going surprisingly well, all this talk about long distance being death is no longer intimidating. If I had to give one piece of advice for keeping a long distance relationship going I would suggest “Skype movie dates”. You will be mocked by your friends, but that is something you’re just going to have to accept. Essentially all you’re doing is ensuring you have the same movie file or DVD and pressing play at the same time while your significant other’s sweet face sit in the corner of the screen. It may seem silly to some but it takes a huge amount of pressure off the relationship. I believe this is because there is less pressure to have to keep conversation and you are just able to relax and enjoy each other’s “company”.

In terms of academic work the pressure is on! I’ve never been one for crying in times of stress but with a 42 credit load being done in the first 2 blocks it has become clear that I am not quite as resilient as I have always thought. Admittedly one of my courses is a preparation for Masters course which is of a much higher standard than I expected, but I press on with watery eyes in the hopes that I will be able to scrape a pass. My other subjects are treating me far more mercifully and I am finding both English and Philosophy extremely intellectually stimulating. I have also found the university to be very rewarding in terms of encouraging innovation and creativity in essays as opposed to demanding an essay that echoes the model answer.
Activities have been plentiful within my friendship, as you can imagine Amsterdam is in no shortage of events and parties. Recently my friends and I took a weekend to go to stay at some cabins in the Amsterdamse Bos, a huge man-made forest about an hour away from Amsterdam. This is an experience I would highly recommend as it gives you the opportunity to experience some much-needed time in nature after that rush of city-living. We wafted through the weekend like gypsies clad in swishies, a pashmina-type scarf, and painted with henna.

Despite my struggles with the Masters-prep course Amsterdam still shines out as what will undoubtedly be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

BACK IN SOUTH AFRICA:

I have been back in South Africa for about 3 weeks now and it feels wonderful to be home. The heat, the people and the spirit of Stellies were greatly missed on my European adventure. The celebrations since my return have been plentiful and I’ve barely had a chance to remember I still have to study despite all the festivities only Stellies can offer.

Although it feels good to be home I also cannot help but marvel at the sameness of it all. It feels the like coming back after a short holiday, and slipping back into routine has been remarkably easy. I already find myself searching for my next opportunity abroad, considering honours and masters programmes for next year.
Leaving South Africa made it very clear to me that I absolutely love this country and it will always be my home. With that said, I have undoubtedly been struck with a sense of restlessness and a need to experience more of the world. I have dreams of living in Paris, New York, maybe even Amsterdam again if I find my path leads me back. I have always planned on settling down in Africa, and remain sure that one day I will. For the mean time, however, I am enchanted by the adventures my future holds and cannot wait to get back out into the big, wide world.

I sincerely believe every single student should aspire to go on exchange and experience this incredible opportunity that the university has afforded us. This is not some kind of elitist invitation for the wealthy or exceptionally academic, with the bursaries offered and a perfectly reasonable 65% aggregate required I think any student from this university would be able to part take in an exchange despite whatever socio-economic background he/she comes from. I am still absolutely blown away by the aid given by both Stellenbosch and the University of Amsterdam and cannot believe that more people don’t jump at the chance to have such a life-changing experience. I implore anyone reading this to look into your options for exchange immediately!

I would like to thank both the University of Stellenbosch and Amsterdam, and all those involved in making this exchange possible, it was undoubtedly one of the best experiences of my life.