End of an era at Steinhoff Maties Rugby : 2017-07-17

The end of the 2017 Varsity Cup also meant the end of an era at Steinhoff Maties Rugby.

For various players who have been key members of the Maties Rugby family the final against Tuks was their last match. Some of these players are continuing their rugby careers while others are establishing careers away from the rugby field.

Loose-forward Kobus van Dyk who recently made his debut for the Stormers, will always remember his time at Maties with a smile. “It is most certainly one of the best groups I have ever been part of…on and off the field! The friends I have made will last for a lifetime. It was a great privilege to play for Maties and to start my rugby career with such a great group of people.”

Kyle Steyn and Devon Nash both got six-month contracts with Griquas. “I’m extremely excited with the prospect of this new adventure. I’m really keen to get involved. I did not expect this opportunity probably because I did not realise the exposure the Varsity Cup gets. So I hoped for something to come along, but not this quickly. I have set some goals for myself, but for now I just want to get going and give it my all,” said Steyn.

About his time at Maties Steyn said: “Maties Rugby has an incredible history and to be able to play in the Maroon and build my own friendships and memories under that history, and to have experienced the pride and legacy that is Maties Rugby, is something I will always cherish.”

Varsity Cup captain Craig Barry added: “It was a road full of blessings and lessons. My time at Maties shaped me into becoming a better person.”

Beyers de Villiers who retired from rugby after the first match in the Varsity Cup due to the danger of further concussion is now focussing on his career.