Fourie and Hayes ready for swansong : 2017-07-17

Two of Maties Sport’s most celebrated ambassadors Arnu Fourie and Ilse Hayes will end their successful careers at the Para World Championships in London.

Action begins today and will end on July 23. Suzanne Ferreira coaches both Fourie and Hayes.

“I’m very excited about the World Champs. I recently told my coach Suzanne that I think it’s the longest I could practice without any injury the last five years. I am so grateful for that. It fills me with excitement and expectation to finish my last season in such a way,” said Fourie.

Fourie does not think too much about the fact that it is his last event ever. “I’m sure as soon as I’ve given my last step, there will be emotions, but at this moment I’m just excited to relive the crowd in London and revive good memories of five years (2012 Paralympics) ago and make new ones.”

After years of experience, it is important for Fourie to keep the bigger picture in mind when he thinks about his expectations for the last meet. “I am a very competitive person, so to say that I do not have expectations will not be the truth, but my prayer is that I will finish my career by giving expression to the form I’m in and maybe even run personal best times. The most important thing is to make the best of every moment. ”

Like Fourie, Hayes is very pleased with her preparation. “It was nice to prepare in good conditions and circumstances and it was easy to focus too. I am very excited about the coming meeting knowing that I can only give my best. I have prepared myself for so long that the World Champs will be my last, that I’m not really emotional now. I’m excited!”

Hayes added: “Athletics has been such a big part of my life for the past 17 years. I was privileged. My expectations are just having a good experience. If I run over the finish line, I just want to experience joy and celebrate regardless of the time or position. It’s so much more about memories than medals.”