Winter week 2012
As part of the Faculty of Science (US) Winter Week initiative, Dr Wesaal Khan from the department of Microbiology held two informative sessions with ca. 80 grade 12 learners from schools all over South Africa. The sessions were planned to be both informative, practical and entertaining. Information ranging from the ever-expanding field of Microbiology, academic programmes offered at US and employment opportunities for trained microbiologists were explained to and discussed with the eager learners, with ample time for answering questions from the learners. The sessions were held in the main practical training laboratory and learners had the opportunity to participate in sampling random areas for microbial contamination, microscopic examination of different bacterial and fungal examples as well as a play that depicted the science behind the bacterial growth curve.
- World experts to discuss biobased economy
- Post-Graduate Programme in Biofuels
- PhD Student Winschau Fayghan van Zyl Wins Best Poster Award @ the 9th Biotechnology Congress of America
- MSc student Steffi Davison tutoring primary school learners at Lynedoch Primary School
- Domestic Rainwater Harvesting Solar Pasteurization Treatment Systems in Enkanini Informal Settlement (Stellenbosch)