News

Youth Month Feature: Dr Elouise Kroon

Meet Dr Elouise Elizabeth Kroon, a doctoral candidate within the TB Host Genetics Research Group at Stellenbosch University’s Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.

In celebration of Youth Month 2020, the Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics is paying tribute to young researchers within our institute. We share heart-warming stories of our students whose lives give us great hope for the future of South Africa. We thank these students for volunteering to tell us a little about themselves and their research.

Tell us briefly about your background?

I was born and bred in the city of gold, Johannesburg.

Why did you choose your field of study – what or who inspired you? Is this what you envisioned for yourself growing up?

The medical field has always been a part of my life. Growing up my grandfather and uncle were doctors and my grandmother and aunt, were nurses. It seemed natural that I would also do something in the medical field.

What is your research focus on?

My research focusses on trying to understand if neutrophils potentially play a role in the innate immune protection against infection with Mycobacterium Tuberculosis (Mtb), the causative organism of Tuberculosis (TB).

How can your research help to improve Africa and/or the lives of its people?

TB remains of one of the leading causes of death in Africa. In addition HIV/TB co-infection has added to this already heavy burden. By studying and understanding the mechanisms of immune protection against Mtb infection and TB we can gain clarity into the pathophysiology of infection and disease and through this develop prophylactic treatments and vaccines against Mtb.

What obstacles did you have to overcome to get where you are today?

Hard work and perseverance. My Medical Internship and Community Service years were some of the toughest I’ve had to face. You are thrown into the deep end and quickly need to adapt to keep your head above water. You are taught the value of service and the tremendous need in our society, both physically and emotionally. You are humbled and brought to your knees, and on those very special days, you are blessed to share in the joy of new life.

If you could invite any three researchers (alive or dead; local or international) to a dinner party, who would you pick and why? 

Jennifer Doudna and Emmanuelle Charpentier, to ask them about what inspired them to become scientists and develop a gene-editing technology. Leonardo da Vinci, I think the name says it all. I would love to know about the life and times of a scientist during the renaissance and to show him what we know today and how his work and scientific discoveries made in impact on future generations. 😉

What is your favourite quote/saying?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” –Benjamin Franklin

Any advice for young people who are considering a career in STEM?

Work hard, try your best, always remain inquisitive and pray.

What do you hope to achieve in the future?

To help implement precision medicine in resource-limited settings and to help improve the general public’s knowledge around genetics and genetic tests.