Stellenbosch University Library and Information Service’s faculty librarians create subject guides for each department (linked from the library website as Library Guides) as a self-help access point for library resources.
The library offers a diversity of guides: subject-focused guides, services in the library such as the Makerspace and specific skills needed such as referencing and research data support. The subject-focused guides are created by the faculty librarians who can assist you with all the steps of the research process. These guides also form a point of contact, where you can find your specific faculty librarian’s email address, and telephone number. You can also make an online appointment while visiting the guide.
Features of Library guides:
- Identify appropriate databases for specific departments to support assignments as well as literature and systematic reviews.
- Allow students to focus on relevant information and eliminates the less relevant.
- Provide tips on finding, using and organizing information in a scholarly way.
- Allow for 24/7 library and information support.
- It is updated continuously.
- Library Guides are integrated with information and other literacy classes.
- Communication technology is integrated into library guides so that it is easy for students and researchers to get support as often and conveniently as needed.
The usage statistics of the Library Guides show they are seen as an asset by our clients, as illustrated by the following sample of statistics as on 24 April 2023 (number of views from January 2023). We have a total of 117 guides, with 170 714 views during the first 4 months of 2023. See a breakdown below of the Top 10 guides according to the number of views.
Enquiries: Contact your faculty librarian.