Alexanderie in Germany

Here is Alexanderie’s story.

Getting ready to go abroad:

I had already been to Germany before, but I didn’t have to prepare for the trip myself as I was still a helpless teenager. However, as a Namibian citizen studying in South Africa, I am familiar with immigration with Visa requirements and steps to take. Unfortunately, I experienced some problems as well.

Firstly, for the passport photos required for the Visa application, make sure to go to a photographer who knows what the photograph requirements of the German Embassy are. I unfortunately had to pay double because my first sets of passport photos were rejected. Secondly, especially for foreign students, there is a new law in South Africa that prohibits the sale of certain foreign currency to countries with their own reserve bank. This as far as I understood applies for Namibians and Zimbabweans as well. I didn’t get a chance to go back to Namibia before the trip and therefore, I could not exchange any money here or get a travel card which is far cheaper than having your usual MasterCard. The bank charges are extremely high and thus, it is wise to withdraw a large amount of money once in Europe. Also, if possible ask the bank to increase your withdrawal limit if you are going to use your normal MasterCard. This will facilitate the withdrawal of a large amount of Euros.

I also made the silly mistake of assuming that summer in Europe is the same as summer in Africa and I was sadly disappointed. It rained quite often and it was chilly most of the four weeks so be wise to pack some warm clothing.

The worst mistake I made was not to read the blog postings of the previous Summer School nominees; otherwise I would have known that the plugs in Germany are totally different. I had no adapter and thus, could not use my laptop.

Furthermore, it would be wise to make sure when booking your flight to check what the luggage restrictions are. I didn’t do that and it turned out that I was allowed 30 kg for the departure only and for the return I had a one bag plan and that one bag was not allowed to weigh more than 23 kg.

I had expected to live at something similar to University owned apartments and assumed therefore, that I would have internet access at home. This was not the case, the apartments are private. So put aside some money for an internet stick, if you know you will definitely need the internet.

However, what I was looking forward to most was to be in Germany during the World Cup as the Germans have a great fan spirit and the energy during that period would definitely be positive!

However, none of these slight constraints would ever dull the experience of the experience of the Summer School. However, without these constraints it will definitely be heightened!!

The Experience:

My first day in Berlin was not very pleasant. I didn’t realise that it was so confusing with the whole transport system. I, finally after hours of being lost and confused, managed to get the right U-Bahn to take me to Tierpark where the Student Accommodation was. When I arrived at Tierpark, it took me ages to finally find the correct apartments as well and I had wait for a while before I could check in. The train system in Berlin can be really confusing but as the weeks went on by, I had perfected the art!

I attended the German course at the Humboldt University and they really made the experience worthwhile. It was very well organised and the lecturers were amazing. I learnt certain aspects of the German history and culture I was totally unfamiliar with. The lessons were all themed and the engaging. There is very little writing as the aim is to speak German and improve it. If I was not fluent in German before, I definitely am now.

Furthermore, what made my course specifically exceptional was that there were always interesting activities planned for us during the afternoons. We were showed around Berlin. They made sure that we get to see every cultural aspect of Berlin which I believe I would have been unable to do on my own. There is so much to do in Berlin, so be smart (unlike me) and research the places you want to see most. It is also a great advantage because the days are long (the sun sets at almost 22h00!!!) so you want to make the most of every day.

The beautiful thing about Berlin is that it is very multicultural. The style of the city is very individual and people express themselves in every way possible. Berlin is also a very festive city. It hosts the best festivals like the Christopher Street Day, which is a definite must go for anyone who attends the Summer University. Furthermore, every summer in Berlin, Fete de la Musique takes place. This is a festival where various musical performances take place throughout Berlin. The city has a certain energy that you will feel immediately when you walk in its streets. My summer experience was heightened when I went to a pool that was in the middle of the Spree River. The view was absolutely breath-taking and definitely worth seeing.

One of the things that I love most about Berlin is how accessible everything is with regards to transport. The transport system is well organised and every little thing is a train or a bus away. The Deutsche Bahn will always make it clear when a certain train doesn’t run and will always provide alternative transport. I also love how every suburb of Berlin has its own culture and personality. It is like you are entering a little different town in one big city. It is one amazing city.

Me at the Hauptbahnhhof, once I had finally figured out my way around Berlin.

The Return:

This was really a very sad day. Since my return to Stellenbosch, I have been yearning for the freedom smelling streets of Berlin. I cried when I left because surprisingly one forms bonds with people so quickly in the four weeks. I have made so many friends and learned to love them. I wish the Summer School was for 8 weeks but then again what makes the experience beautiful is the fact that it is short and sweet.

There so many times that I walk in Stellenbosch and go about my day and think about what I would have been doing had I still been in Berlin. Berlin was so far reaching and made me feel young and revived again. The worst thing is that I had adapted to the lifestyle and accessibility in Berlin. I cannot go anywhere I want to here in Stellenbosch because the transport system is not organised nor is it safe. My trip to Berlin really changed my take on my own life. I now don’t want to let the days pass my by and I have more energy. It was nice to feel safe, knowing the level of crime in both South Africa and Namibia. I didn’t have to walk watching my back the whole time and it was very comforting.

However, there are some things that I value about Africa generally that will make it very difficult for me to permanently relocate to Berlin. I find that, based on most of the African countries that I have been to and the Africans I have met, we are generally more warm and friendly. Germans are very reserved and they lack a sense of community. Thus, ever since my return I have managed to appreciate the warmth of the people of South Africa more. It is nice to live in a country where you can simply greet a person for the sake of friendliness. It would be awkward to live in a country where people constantly avoid making eye contact.

However, if your soul is in need of rejuvenation, then I strongly suggest you apply. You will not regret it and it may change your view on life as well and you will definitely meet people who will impact your life in a wonderful way.

I did not regret anything and if I could do it over again, I would. The experience was beautiful and every minute I spent there was the best in my life.

I encourage more students to take part in these Summer Schools, the Postgraduate & International Office makes everything very accessible for you and the staff are very helpful and they will do anything in their ability and I am forever grateful for the opportunity. I will definitely apply for a six month exchange!

Mariana (Mexico) and I in Friedrichsrhein