Priviledge at Konstanz in Germany

Pre-departure:

Preparing to go abroad can be really demanding and stressful. Fortunately for me, I went to Europe (Belgium and the Netherlands) in 2013 and was familiar with the preparatory stage. However, the Germany Embassy has a different visa application process. For the Germany Embassy, the visa application process is handled by Intergate Visalink. As such one needs to be aware of this, as an online application is required – after which, you book an appointment and it is recommended to do this online.

It is important to have a good plan and a list of what to do so that you do not forget anything. Important steps: (1) to book the flight ticket and (2) to apply for the visa. I acquired the assistance of the Neelsie Travel Agency to book my flight tickets and they were really helpful. After I got my ticket I then started compiling documents for my visa application.

I found it very helpful to visit the Germany Embassy website. It takes you through the whole process and gives you a list of the documents required for the visa application. The best way is to print out the checklist for the required documents so that you can tick off the documents you already have and keep track of the documents you still need. For the passport photos, you can have them taken at the University. They are aware of the photo requirements and you can have the photos at a reasonable price. Having all the necessary documents at hand makes the whole process easy and smooth.

After acquiring all the required documents, I did an online application and got an appointment date for the submission of the required documents. The submission of the documents was pretty fast, and after two working days, I got my visa. Because I had planned ahead and had everything in place before my appointment date, I did not experience any hustles.

After having my visa, I had only two weeks left to go to Germany. In these two weeks, there are important things that I had to do, these include: going to the Bank to notify them of my trip abroad and have my card activated for use while I am in another country. I also had to buy a few Euros so that I can have cash on me when I arrive in Germany. It is not necessary to have a lot of cash with you. It is better to use a card but still keep some cash aside.

Also, I had to do some reading on Konstanz and its University to have a bit of knowledge about the place. I left South Africa with some knowledge of how the Germany transport system works; what is cheaper to use, a train or bus and the timetable for buses and trains. It is good to check the weather – to know what kind of clothes and shoes to pack.

It is important to have copies of all the documents that you submitted for your visa application with you when you travel abroad. Some of the documents can be requested at the entry point upon arrival. So you should have a file of the documents with you in your hand luggage.

The Experience:

I arrived in Konstanz on a Friday afternoon and fortunately, I was welcomed by some of the IBH-Summer School Tutors who were waiting to escort me and other exchange students to our apartments. The tutors were very friendly and their hospitality made me feel so much at home.

The bus system around the city was very confusing at first. The buses go around the city and stop at designated bus stops – so you have to know which bus to take and where to get off.

The first weekend we had a get-together near the Lake and it was so good to meet other people. It is so amazing how diverse our group was, people from all over the world. We also had a guided tour around the city. It was a really worthwhile tour – the city is small so we were able to see all the important buildings for example, Churches and the Town Hall and also sculptures that embodies the history of Konstanz.

The main purpose was to attend the German language course at the University of Konstanz. The first day in class was a big challenge. I had no knowledge of the German language and the teacher spoke in German, it was all confusing. The classes were so intense, from morning until mid-afternoon. We did less of writing and more of speaking and listening, which was very important for beginners. All my classmates were beginners and we worked together and helped each other to understand better, this made it so interesting. I really enjoyed the class tasks, presentations and interviews.

As the days progressed, my German also improved. This made my stay in Germany easy – as I was able to communicate with others for example, in the shops, restaurants and at train stations.

Apart from classes, I attended the weekly planned Day-Excursions. My best excursion was when we went to Liechtenstein. Liechtenstein is a landlocked country with neither an airport nor a seaport. It borders Switzerland to the south and the west and Austria to the east and the north. Furthermore, it is the only country that is situated entirely in the Alpine massif. Liechtenstein is ruled by a Prince and every year on the 15th of August they have a festival (National Day). I had the chance to meet the Prince on the National Day and had some snacks in the castle garden. Thereafter, we had free time, so I went on a trip to Buchs (to see the oldest village in Switzerland) and then I went to Feldkirch in Austria. It felt so good to be in four countries in one day. If one does not pay much attention, one would not notice a move from one country to the other as there are no border control systems and the buildings are so similar. After a few hours we went back to Vaduz the capital of Liechtenstein to see the fireworks that marked the end of the festival. The fireworks were spectacular, they lasted for about 30 minutes – it was amazing.

Konstanz is a beautiful city. I love the environment – it is so peaceful and full of life. It reminded me so much of Stellenbosch. It is like a University town as well as a tourist destination. What makes Konstanz exceptional is that it is situated at the bottom of Germany, along the coast of a huge lake (Bodensee).

The return:

I have only been in Konstanz for a month but I really feel so much at home. The thought of leaving Konstanz makes me sad. I feel like I have known people in my group for a long time and saying goodbye is going to be the hardest part of the process of returning to Stellenbosch.

The people were so amazing. My teacher and the Summer school Co-ordinator were so good and they were always smiling, I miss them already. I will definitely keep in touch with them. I guess it will be an opportunity to keep practising and improving my German.It is really going to be a difficult adjustment going back to the office and not being in class. For the four weeks I have been in Konstanz, I really enjoyed myself. I had a life time experience and lots of wonderful memories. But as the saying goes: “There is no place like home”. The thought of seeing my family, friends and colleagues again is great. I have so much to tell them and I cannot wait to try out all the cooking recipes I learnt from my new friends. This is one of the benefits of the Summer school exchange programme. I have meet different people and from different cultures. There is a lot to learn when you are in a group and also when in Europe.

Although the Germans are efficient in their services, especially on transportation and although the food is affordable, there is nothing that beats your country’s typical traditional food and to have a meal with your family and loved ones. I’m so looking forward to returning to South Africa but also sad to part ways with my new friends. I’m really glad I had the opportunity to attend a German language course in Konstanz. I would love to go for another exchange programme, I was really inspired. I recommend other students to apply for summer school courses or even a semester abroad, it is worth it.