Jaco at VU Amsterdam

Pre-departure :

Jaco Piek - Jaco Piek_Picture 5

The application procedure for an exchange to Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam is made up of two parts. First, you apply via the usual route, through the PGIO at Stellenbosch University. If you do indeed get nominated to go to VU, you then have to complete an online application procedure that VU facilitates. This is mostly a formality and a means to apply for and finalize your visa, accommodation and academic arrangements through them. They are especially helpful with your visa (i.e. residence permit) and accommodation applications. In addition to your online application, your learning agreement (LA) needs to be finalised. That is, you choose subjects that you would like to do and submit it to them. The academic staff at VU then evaluates your LA to determine whether you meet the prerequisites for the courses you choose. They shall communicate this process to you upon acceptance of your nomination.

Practical arrangements to complete as soon as possible once accepted are visa, accommodation and learning agreement.  Since the exchange is longer than three months a visa/residence permit is required. VU will arrange the application procedure for you, just note that there is a fee of €350, so be sure to budget accordingly. VU also provides accommodation through a housing corporation called DUWO. It is possible to organize your own accommodation, but highly recommended that you work through VU as this will be a much smoother process. However, an administrative fee of €200 for the housing application must also be paid in addition to the visa fee. They do work on a first-come first-serve basis, so try to finalise your housing as soon as possible. This is a rather expensive process, but housing in Amsterdam is in high demand and it is extremely difficult to get something affordable on your own unless you know someone who already lives in Amsterdam. Also be sure to check the junk folder of your email, since you will be receiving mail from unfamiliar addresses and therefore mail may accidently end up in the spam folder. For example, I paid the deposit for accommodation well in advance, but their response went to my junk folder. To make a long story short, by the time I realized that the email was indeed sent to me, I was on the waiting list for accommodation and only managed to finalise accommodation on the day of the deadline. This was very stressful and can most definitely be avoided.

Communication with your department is very important. They need to be well-informed regarding the details of your exchange and your purpose for going. I would also advise you to contact your prospective academic department to inform them of your coming. The academic staff and administrative staff function separately from each other, so the lecturers do not necessarily have information on prospective exchange students. For example, the academic staff (i.e. your lecturers at VU) receive class lists with their prospective students’ details. However, only the names of the full-time students are on these lists, so when they send out emails before the semester regarding preparations for the coursework, it only goes out to full-time students. I would recommend that you contact the lecturers for whose courses you were approved. In doing so will be kept in the loop regarding coursework preparations.

A few additional tips before leaving for VU: 

• Inform your bank of your exchange and estimated timeframe that you will be abroad
  • Try to get a bicycle as soon as possible. VU organizes a bike sale in the orientation week.
  • Upon arrival, open a bank account at ING bank – very easy, all you need is your passport and proof of address (new address in Netherlands of course)
  • Sim card: get a Lebara sim card, the sim card is free and they have a monthly deal where you pay €30 and get a 1000 minutes international calling time and 1GB data
  • OV-chipkaart: this card is an anonymous public transport card that you buy at first and then load credit on to travel. It is cheaper than buying individual tickets for separate trips. Once you have this card, enquire about the “samenreiskorting”. In other words, joint traveller discount. Basically, you can get 40% discount on intercity journeys as long as you travel with someone else who has a personalized, business or student OV-chipkaart. I did this on many intercity journeys. I would choose the option before going to the platform and then ask people on the platform if I could travel with them. At first this might sound strange, but it is actually quite common in Netherlands and also a great way to meet people and make your journeys more exciting and of course a great way to save money.
  • Install 9292 app on your phone: the app provides real-time info on public transport timetables

Experience at the Host University

Jaco Piek - Jaco Piek_Picture 1

My choice to go to VU Amsterdam was based purely on academic reasons. I am doing a master’s degree in transport economics and the VU has a mater’s program called STREEM. This program is specifically geared towards students who have strong interests in transport, spatial and urban related economics. Upon arrival, I attended a math and statistics refresher course during the week before class officially started and thereafter I slotted into their master’s program. It was a grueling start to my exchange.

Their academic year consists of two semesters and each semester has three six-week cycles/periods. The first two periods are the most demanding and time consuming, if you are taking master’s level courses.  Since the modules are presented in six-week cycles, you will need to adapt quickly to the high workload and high-time pressure. The VU does attract a large contingent of international students so the lecturers do put in the effort to make sure that everyone gets settled in and accustomed to their academic program. My experience at VU compared to Stellenbosch University was more challenging, but also more rewarding. I enjoyed the friendly and open approach from the academic staff. As a master’s student you are seen as a colleague and an open relationship with the lecturers is encouraged.

Amsterdam is truly a remarkable city. Its bustling streets, ubiquitous water canals and museums make it one of the top cities in the world. There is always something happening, be it a Dutch festival, music event, art exhibition or the weekly food and goods markets. I would suggest that you go for a free walking tour at the beginning of your exchange. This is a great way to become acquainted with Amsterdam and get a feel for what you would like to do during your stay. The local guides have a wealth of information and know all the ins and outs of the city. Also, if you are interested in connecting with a local church, I would recommend that you visit either Crossroads International church based in Amstelveen, or the Vineyard Community church based in the center of Amsterdam.

Return to Stellenbosch 

My exchange was quite hectic so during my last month I decided to do some traveling that I couldn’t do earlier in my exchange. I visited various cities within Netherlands and also traveled to Berlin and Rome. Travelling in January is fairly cheap (be on the lookout for the prices of low-cost airlines (e.g. Ryanair and EasyJet), sometimes there are deals that are extremely cheap, cheaper than the train) as it is does not fall within their peak season, so I would recommend that you try to work in a bit of travelling at the end of your exchange.

My last month in Amsterdam was bittersweet. On the one hand, I was looking forward to going back to South Africa and on the other hand I felt that Amsterdam had become my home. I had made amazing friends, something I did not expect given the short time period of the exchange and have become accustomed to the way of life in Netherlands. In terms of practical arrangements, I had informed my department of my return date and organized a meeting. This enabled my to quickly slot back into the system at Stellenbosch.

My time abroad has led to a greater appreciation for my country. I have become to appreciate South Africa even more. Even though Netherlands is a first-world country and the fact that everything simply just works; South Africa has so much to offer in terms of our rich heritage and future potential. Our country has the potential to become a global leader given the right leadership and vision.

My trip abroad was one of the most enriching experiences of my life. I have made friends who span from Canada right through to Indonesia. It has challenged various perspectives that I had and truly broaden my view of thinking. When you’re taken out from your comfort zone to a new unknown, you create space to grow in your character and personality. I have returned stronger, humbler and more dedicated to the cause.