Vanessa at the University of Helsinki, Finland

Pre-departure:

Thanks to the hard work of everyone at SU International, the pre-departure preparations went smoothly. The team made sure that we had all the information we need. In terms of preparing for the trip itself, the travel bursary was really helpful with paying for flights and the trip to the Finnish Embassy in Pretoria. The Finnish Embassy has a wonderful website where you could apply for your Student Resident permit (for people staying longer than 3 months) which made things a lot easier. No paper work was involved, so glad I could save a few trees.

The excitement of going on exchange can sometimes overshadow the preparation and hard work that goes into it before jetting off. I found these tips helpful when I was preparing for my trip

1. Do not be afraid to ask questions (or google) when you are in doubt. The university has been facilitating exchanges for a while now so they understand that you may be uncertain or unclear about some things. Send an email or google what you need to know. No question is a silly question
  2. Keep a file with all your important documents. It sure does help to have both digital and physical copies of crucial documents.
  3. Make a list of all the things you have to get done, in detail. Fortunately, the exchange office has on their website some key areas that need focus before departure. This is a really helpful guide, you can also add in personal details (such as your flight itinerary, cost of Visa etc) to make sure you don’t forget anything
  4. Leave a copy of NB documents with a friend or family member. Anything can happen.
  5. Keep Calm. The amount of emails and To-Dos may seem overwhelming and tedious, but it is worth it. Failure to prepare is preparation for failure. Resist the temptation to leave everything to the last minute. Get things done ASAP so that you can have time to get yourself ready before departure without the admin run-around
  6. Make sure that you keep in mind the countries and duration of your stay oversees. DO NOT overstay even by a day. The penalty fees are worth avoiding.

Experience at the Host University:

I absolutely loved Helsinki University, so much so that I am considering going back. As a social science student, the Swedish School of Social Science offered amazing courses and a space to meet-and-greet new people. Aside from the absolute darkness in the winter, and of course the freezing weather, Helsinki is a beautiful place for anyone looking to live in a reasonably sized city. I especially loved that the city was tucked away amongst the natural mountains and trees. The sight of jack rabbit and squirrels was an absolute delight.

At the university I took courses in politics, multiculturalism, post-colonial theory and, life-course studies. I learnt so much from each of these. The multiculturalism and post-colonial theory courses really opened my eyes to the different ways in which human beings relate to the present, to each other and to history. It was refreshing to hear arguments around race, gender and culture from a European setting. Often I found myself in a classroom where I was the only African student. Consequently, I would find myself frustrated at the lack of diversity in experience. Sure, everyone had different backgrounds and varied personal stories, but the themes were the same. It is so easy to take certain things for granted, a lot of what we say and how we say really makes sense because we say it to others who share our context. I learnt from this experience that one ought to communicate clearly, that is, say what you mean and mean what you say, for others to understand you.

Nevertheless, what was more amazing was just how similar we all were. We all wanted social justice, a fulfilling human experience and just love in the world even though we were all different.

I think my experience at SU definitely prepared me for such encounters. The quality of teaching and learning here at SU gave me confidence to interact with others outside of my context. I realized that the opportunities I had taken to engage with lecturers, course work and peers in the lecture hall, prepared me to critically engage lecturers and course material in a different setting. Yes I was the only African student, but that was no hurdle. The recognition that European thought and knowledge are not the standard or the only truth validated my own experiences and knowledge. This also encouraged me to not shy away from expressing what I know to others.

This also held true when I went on a mini Euro tour. On my travels through France, Germany and Spain, I realized that human beings are human beings no matter where they live. I was just as capable of achieving what students from the global north could achieve. Encountering different people and seeing just how similar we were, made me reflect more deeply on my own prejudices and preconceived notions about myself and others. I felt a very strong sense of pride in being African and South African. I felt a deep sense of privilege and joy when I thought about home.

Return to Stellenbosch:

Since returning to RSA early June 2017, life being back has been nothing short of an adjustment. It is so strange to feel out of place in a space that you call home. But this is really how I have been feeling. Being back feels both familiar and foreign. So much has changed yet so much has stayed the same. Thanks to video calling, I have not missed much in terms of keeping up with family and friends. Even so, the past six months I have been away, I have missed all the little things that don’t pop up in conversation but become so visible and evident in other ways. For example, when I talk to my friends about something that happened at a particular period, their reference is in the RSA context whereas mine is not. Sometimes this creates a bit of confusion.

I have also realized just how vast the world is. Just how much is out there to see and experience. In a way it feels like I come back with a fresh pair of eyes through which to look at and make sense of my South African context. Because of this, I realise that one can be easily wrapped in their own bubble of reality, often overlooking that they are multiple lives and experiences all over the world. Moreover, I have a renewed zeal and hope for my South Africa. For a very long time, what was outside the boarders of the African continent was perceived to be superior. Coming back from Europe made me realise that what Africans know to be true and real is just as valuable as European knowledge and ways. I now see the potential that we have as a country and continent in our own right. I am excited about young men and women and what they can do for this country. I realise that African people are courageous and resilient. We make a way where the odds are stacked against us. I am very proud of this trait. I am also encouraged to do more to fight our societal ills such as corruption, crime and illness.

I appreciate being a South African for so many reasons. I am looking forward to going oversees again. I think it is good to explore and discover the world while I still can. Would I live in Europe, yes! Not because I hate Africa, but because I liked Europe. It would not be a substitute but an addition. Oh, how true is the SiSwati idiom Ku hamba, ku bona [to travel is to see, learning, share & experience], and more often than not, it is self that is seen more clearly.