Siphosethu at the Summer School Healthy Ageing, University of Groningen

Pre-depature:

I cannot begin to describe the feeling when I opened my inbox to find an email of acceptance to be able to attend the summer school of my choice. I attended my first summer school in 2016 in South Africa and it was the most amazing month of my entire year! I remember meeting the team and the international students, exchanging ideas, forming bonds and I immediately knew that this was something I wanted to experience again and perhaps in an unfamiliar setting. Perhaps as the international student.

My search for summer schools began almost immediately after the 2016 summer school sadness had sunk in and it seemed like the longest wait before I would be able to attend something like that again – more especially as I was going to be in my final year and Tygerberg’s schedule didn’t seem quite as kind as Main Campus’.

However, I’m glad that my search started very prematurely as I was able to browse (and browse and browse) through the internet until I finally found one that seemed tailored for me! (This is where the tips come in):

Step one of your summer school adventure should undoubtedly start with choosing a summer school. I would advise you to continuously stalk mysun.ac.za and read the previous blogs! Firstly, they instil so much excitement, and if you’re anything like me, the application process begins almost immediately! (I think mine was a bit too premature at 8 months prior).

Once your applications have been rendered successful from the host university, it’s time for what many would deem the biggest nightmare and possibly the solidifier of whether your trip will be happening or not – the visa application process! Be as pedantic as can be – it really helps! I ended up bringing way too many documents, but I also had it approved first time around (go figure). Depending on the type of visa you require, I would say internet sites are quite reliable on finding out which documents you would need!

Because my summer school was only a week, I planned to travel for a week prior to this, which was really the best decision I ever made. However, if you plan on doing the same, ensure that your pre-summer school plans are just as aligned as your summer school ones. This includes accommodation as proof is needed for visa approval purposes. I have a few friends abroad, so accommodation was thankfully not a problem. I had them write me a letter of invitation and this helped speed up my visa preparations and I was able to plan my actual route, stops and accommodation at a more leisurely pace!

In a nutshell: Pre-depature arrangements are a lot of paperwork and general administration. I would suggest that you keep a file where all information is stored and can be easily accessed when necessary! Also, if you have any contacts where you’re heading – now is the time to use them! After all – a friend in need is a friend indeed and my friends proved MOST loyal!

Experience at the Host University:

With only a week, I was already cringing at how quickly time would fly, more especially because I skipped the social program (between Amsterdam and me, I don’t know who wouldn’t let go). I took an early train from Amsterdam to Groningen, where I was due to have my summer school. I was met by a very friendly member of the student committee who helped me navigate my way to the rest of the summer school group! To my surprise, we were all gathered up in a bus and drove far from the vibrant student city of Groningen to what I (and possibly any South African) would view as an elegant farm, but the Dutch nobly called a village.

Lectures started every morning at 09:00, after a hearty Dutch breakfast at 08:00 which never failed to include cheeses, breads and a number of cold meats. The lecture styles varied immensely from lecturer to lecturer and this was something I found quite valuable as the lecturers that presented each topic were specialised in the specific topic and their passion came across which encouraged more attentiveness than usual. However, it goes without saying that there were a few odd lectures where many were tempted to take a nap (honesty is the best policy) and this might have been due to the very enjoyable social program that took place each evening after the lectures.

Speaking of the social program: The student committee of the University of Groningen for this Healthy Ageing course was very much involved throughout the week, specialising in the post-lecture program and ensuring that our time away from the city was still of top quality entertainment. The social program ranged from a pubquiz to Dutch games and we even got to learn the hakka through a workshop they had arranged.

My academic experience was very enriching! This might be due to the fact that no formal assessments took place during this week. However, I am still convinced that the minimal pressure put on the students and the varying lecture styles played a huge role in keeping the interest in the studies. Daily afternoon workshops were also focused on assignments that equipped us with necessary skills and it was this focused learning that made all the difference! It is also important to note that a week was difficult to compare the teaching styles between my host university and Stellenbosch, but the biggest difference I was able to note was the easily approachable lecturers who didn’t hesitate to assist and challenge us in a meaningful and intellectual manner.

With poffertjes as snacks in between lectures, peaches as flat as the Dutch landscape, a diversity of peers who contributed even more to the topics with their varying worldviews and unlimited beer to end off the toasty nights, this summer school over exceeded my expectations! (And I was definitely not ready to come home).

Return to Stellenbosch:

My return back to South Africa had me filled with many emotions, but one I cannot deny was my longing to go back to Europe! This might also have been largely due to the fact that I had final year exams to study for as well as numerous assignments to complete and so my procrastination station proved fully functional without fail (as per usual). Alas, it is now almost two weeks that I have returned home and in a week, I return to Stellenbosch to commence my final semester of my studies, BSc Physiotherapy (Hons).

Coming back, the differences stare you hard in the face, but you also realise that it’s not that awful either! One thing I will miss for sure is being able to walk freely at any time of day without worry! And of course – the overly efficient public transport system! Nothing beats punctuality (except maybe the architecture I was able to witness first-hand during my mini vacation in Berlin and Amsterdam).

I am in awe of what is still out there to see and my curiosity is currently overpowering my wish for a stable, comfortable life! It is this very curiosity that I know that I will without a doubt be returning to Europe sooner than I thought! (I wish the rand could cooperate though).

But with all this said, there is a beauty in my people who I didn’t witness during my time abroad as I had anticipated. We as South Africans have “that thing” and it is “that thing” that made coming home all the more comforting!!!

I’d like to thank Stellenbosch University for affording me this absolutely incredible opportunity! Although I am putting it into words (and believe me, struggling), I cannot ever fully describe what this trip meant for me! I look forward to the many adventures that lie ahead.

For now, I think it’s safe to say that Post-Summer School sadness has once again hit me harder that I expected!