Irmilee at the Technical University of Munich, Germany

The past couple of months had been a life changing experience, for which I will forever be grateful for. It was definitely hard at times, but afterwards I realize that it’s doing those times where I have learned the most about myself, my degree, different cultures and in general life.

My journey in Europe started off with my Internship at Siemens in Germany. My preparation to come to Europe therefore was a bit more challenging. In the end all the extra effort and struggles really paid off, because my internship was definitely the highlight of my whole exchange and I can recommend everyone who does this exchange to apply for an internship as well. It opened my eyes to the ‘Real Working World’. I was ascribed projects, some of which I wasn’t able to do at first, but I made a commitment to myself to put a 110% effort in everything that I did there. I learned one really needs to go the extra mile if you want to get somewhere in life and it doesn’t matter how hard something may seem, there is a solution for everything. I didn’t at first have any friends, but in the first few weeks I became my own best friend. As my German improved over time, I became good friends with my colleagues. I travelled with them, went to birthday parties, beer gardens, events and even did races together. At the end of the internship I was also given a working student job there. Unfortunately I had to turn it down, because of my studies at TUM in Munich. However, they said I can come back anytime, which I am so grateful for. As I loved every second of the marketing that I did at Siemens.

Irmilee at her Siemens internship
Irmilee at her Siemens internship

I did extra German language courses in my free time and it has really helped me to be able to fit in the German culture as well as get the internship opportunity. I can definitely say to learn the language of the country is a must do before one embarks on their  exchange. The  exchange will  then be  a lot  easier and  in my  opinion, language is the gateway into another culture.

Experience at TUM:

TUM is rated one of the best universities in the world and after my exchange I can definitely say I agree with this rating. The courses, Professors, Seminars and everything is just from top-of the-line. The difficulty of the courses I would say is more or less the same as those at Stellenbosch University. Although I had to get used to the difference and what the University expected of us. At TUM, for most subjects we only wrote an exam compared to SU where we have to do continuous assessments, projects and exams. I had to work more diligently on my own throughout the semester without any one checking up on you. However, this allowed me to see different styles of my program I have not been exposed to at home. The speeches that TUM organized and for example TEDxTUM also prepared me for my career path in the future. I was very lucky to find student accommodation with Studentenwerk. It was so amazing and convenient there. It also makes you feel part of a student community where you meet others.

Embracing every opportunity of the Exchange

The everyday life in Germany had been one of a kind. From the Octoberfest to exploring the mountains with hiking friends that I have made there. The International Centre at TUM also helped us a lot to fit in and make our exchange the bet it can possibly be. They organized weekly activities and trips at really affordable prices. It helped me not to feel lonely at the times when I had homesickness and it forced me to interact with different cultures. Which is great for an exchange student like me who was on a low traveling budget. At the end of the day, this is also where I made some of my closest friends here in Munich. Life-long friends! They also did a social Erasmus Program where we were able to help the poor, in collaboration with Münchner Tafel. That has definitely been one of the highlights, because it felt like I was able to interact with the community at large and make a difference by just giving an extra helping hand. In my free time I also tried to travel a lot. From taking night Flix Busses to sleeping in a hostels with 20 other people. This part of the exchange is a must, because once one is in Germany it is so easy to see the world. I also joined a hiking group and we went on multi-day hikes and I tried to go as often as I can in the mountains! This is a big advantage of Munich, as the Alps and the Bavarian Mountains were basically in my backyard for hiking and skiing.

Unforgettable experiences with Friends
Unforgettable experiences with Friends

This Erasmus experience and degree puts one out of their comfort zone and I had the opportunity to witness a completely new way of life. I was fascinated with the different foods, customs and social atmosphere here are. I embraced everything and also forced myself to try everything, speak the language and do everything that ‘typical Germans’ do.  When my family visited me in December they actually told me I became a ‘real’ German. Which I am proud to say! I now have a better understanding and appreciation for this nation’s people and history.

At first the experience was a bit overwhelming as I had to get out of my comfort zone and face all the problems on my own. But this allowed me to develop into a more mature person and it tested my ability to adapt to diverse situations I was put into. Through this I have also learned that adaptability is the key to success! It is also actually on this exchange where I realized what I specifically want to specialize in and I have already started to look for master’s opportunities here at TUM. I really hope I will be able to come back to Munich after I have finished my bachelor’s degree at home as soon as possible. I can definitely call Munich now my second home!

As I finished my study abroad program, I am now returning home as a different person. Someone who sees the world with new eyes. I have completely a different view and perspective on life, cultures, language skills, education systems, and a willingness to learn. I am also returning with International contacts and friends that just enriches my life. I cannot thank you enough for making all this and so much more come true!