Alex at West Virginia University (II)

Getting there:

My semester abroad began in early January and the weeks leading up to my departure were very busy with visa applications, getting vaccinations and packing. The visa application was actually very simple and I was able to book an appointment for the very next day. They provide you a list of the specific documents you need to bring with you once you have booked an appointment so there is no need to feel unprepared. When I arrived I was given a number in a queue and was announced when it was my turn to be interviewed. The questions asked were very simple such as why was I going to the United States and where was I studying etc. The process was quick and my visa arrived a week later.

I was aware I had to get vaccinations before I left however I put it off till a couple weeks before I had to leave unaware that the Hepatitis vaccinations needs to be administered on three separate occasions. Thankfully I was able to take the three doses over three week period, however I would advise others to go and get the vaccinations done as soon as possible and not leave them too late just to avoid unnecessary stress.

When I arrived in Morgantown, I reported to the International Office. West Virginia University has two International Offices, one is E. Moore Hall which is located right opposite the Mountainlair. This is where I had to take my passport and DS- 2019 form and fill in a SEVIS form. The second one is on Beechurst Ave. in Stansbury Hall. This is where I met Becky McDaniel and informed about the orientation and my accommodation. Before I left South Africa there was a problem with the WVU housing application and so when I arrived in Morgantown Becky had me fill out an application and by the end of the day I had been placed in the International House.

Life in the International House and at WVU is lots of fun. The house has such a home like environment and all the people are so friendly. The International House organises outings for us, we have been skiing and ice-skating and we have played paintball. Every second Friday night there is also a culture evening where people from one country will cook for the House and share a little bit about their country.

It is very cold here in Morgantown with lots of snow and I have been lucky enough to experience two snow days this semester. Morgantown is small and it takes me two minutes to get to class, the dining halls are also very close to campus and the house so in my everyday life I am able to get around simply by walking. To get to the mall I can take the bus which is free with my WVU student ID. On campus WVU has a transport system called Personal Rapid Transit or the PRT which we use to get between campuses.

My time here at WVU so far has been amazing. I am meeting people from all over the world and learning so much about the world and myself. I look forward to the rest of my time here.

At West Virginia University:

My experience at West Virginia University academically has been incredibly insightful. I was able to learn from very qualified professors who had experience in fields in which I am very interested in for my future career. I found that academically West Virginia University had a high standard; the professors expected you to take notes in class and no additional class notes were provided, the teaching style was very interacting and forced us students to engage with the material, each other and the professor more. The grading system differed a great deal from Stellenbosch University with an A grade ranging from 90% to 100%. This shocked me initially as back home an A grade was from 75% however I soon discovered that the standard of marking at West Virginia University was not as high as that of the standard of marking at Stellenbosch and receiving an A grade at West Virginia University was very similar to receiving an A grade at Stellenbosch University, with regards to the amount of effort required.

The layout of exams also differed in West Virginia from Stellenbosch. Multiple choice and true/false questions were very common in conjunction with normally one essay question no longer than a page. Another difference in the exams which I had never experienced before was that of online or take home exams. This was when the exam was provided either a week before the actual exam and you were given the week to write this exam and hand it in or the exam was made available online but only at the given time for the exam and you were able to use whatever resources such as class notes, textbooks and the internet to answer the exam. The professors were also very accommodating when it came to the students and offered both a take home exam and a normal written exam from which the students could choose. The preparation for exams was also different, all my professors at West Virginia, for the most part, provided detailed study guides illustrating specifically what was to be covered in the exam. I found this made studying for exams a lot more efficient and I was able to gain a better understanding of the subject matter.

The way in which West Virginia University and I found out most American university lay out their degree choices for students was also very interesting and different from any South African university. The students choose a very broad degree in either business, social sciences etc. and then they are able to choose from a wide variety of subjects and within those subjects, modules covering a wide variety of subject matter. They also make these decisions based on the professor taking the module and their background. This really fascinated me as in South Africa once you select your degree for the most part everything is decided for you from the subject to what you will be covering. I found I prefer our system as it gives us more focus however I do see the merit in the American system.

Returning to South Africa:

Returning to life back in South Africa took some adjusting. Firstly, I had made truly great friendships on my exchange, both American and other international students. Saying goodbye to these friends was tough and adjusting to being on different time zones and the reality of an indefinite time apart was hard. Also although everyone back home was so excited about my trip and eager to hear all about it, many lost interest very quick which I could understand and had be warned about. They did not know about the places or the people I was referring to or the extent of the weather conditions etc. and so they found it difficult to relate. It was also difficult for me to suddenly slip back into a life that was so different from the one that I had become used to in the States. However there were many things that made the transition much easier. Being away for six months, although very exciting does leave you very excited to get back to family and your country. After I had said goodbye to my friends in Morgantown I was very excited to head back to South Africa and to things that were familiar to me, such as South African food, the cultures, hearing the different languages around me etc., things I had come to miss. My family and friends were also very supportive and welcoming. Everyone was so excited to see me again and hear my news, see pictures and catch me up on all I had missed. My family in particular were very sensitive to the fact that I was readjusting to life back in South Africa which made things much easier.

After being in the States for six months my perspective on South Africa really changed. Being away made me appreciate all the nuances our country has that I so often took for granted. I realised that although I was living in America and having the most amazing time, South Africa was my home and I was so proud and glad that this was the case. I was so excited to return and since then I really have appreciated this place as my home so much more than when I left.

This exchange has been a truly amazing experience for me. I have learnt so much about myself, the world and my plans for the future. Having the opportunity to study in the States and study under some truly insightful professors has given such a broader perspective on where I can take my studies further and possibilities for career opportunities in the future. One of the greatest things I learnt from this exchange is that the world is a lot smaller than we perceive and that we truly can go anywhere and achieve anything if we so choose. I am definitely considering another exchange experience perhaps further on in my studies, never have I had such fun and learnt so much. It is definitely an experience I would do over and over again.