Claire at Leiden University, The Netherlands

Pre-departure:

First off- I am lucky enough to have a British Passport, so my departure process was a lot easier than my friends going on exchange (at least before BREXIT). The hardest part of the pre-departure process was trying to focus on my oral exams for law that we were required to do a week before we left. These were a major struggle to study for because all you want to do is think about your adventure, or like me, work more to earn money so that you can actually survive there! So start studying early and complete your assignments early. Keep your eyes on the prize – the good will come later. Other than studying, I would advise you to save as much as possible. You want to be able to live fully, and if your parents also can’t give you money like mine, then I suggest you start saving EARLY.

START LOOKING FOR HOUSING ASAP. I was incredibly lucky to find a house in the centre, in a sorority. Sorority culture is massive in Leiden and living with three Dutch girls was the best experience I could as for. BUT Leiden is very hard to find housing in because it is so small. I started looking in June already on Fb housing – you have to monitor the page every minute basically and keep contacting people that advertise positions. In the end I managed to find one room for 350 Euro a month until mid November, and another room for 475 a month until end of Jan. So I had to extend my stay by a month (unplanned) because that was the only way I was guaranteed housing. The student houses are quite expensive through DUWO and they give some problems… but they are an amazing way to meet and live with students from all around the world, and the communal kitchens are great for social nights. BUT Den Haag is also a good option if you can afford the train costs. It is my favourite city and I would easily live there one day! Way better than Amsterdam – if you really get into the Dutch life then I think you will feel like me (and the local Dutch people) when I say that Amsterdam is not nearly my favourite city – in fact I avoided it until I had to do work there.

Start making lists of what you need. If you go in August like me, then make sure you have a some summer and some winter clothes. It was really hot at first and then suddenly the temperature dropped. I bought my winter coat here in Netherlands though- Primark is cheap and you can find a coat there easily. Make sure you either have waterproof shoes (I have Dr Martens) or you can buy them here! Leave things like towels and linen to buying in the Netherlands. It isn’t too expensive and you rather use the space and weight to pack clothes than toiletries and towels etc! If you have medication or special products make sure you get enough for the six months.

I was excited rather than nervous – even though I was going to be away from friends and family for over a year (I am staying in Europe for another year) I don’t think you need to be worried about being too homesick. Get excited and focus on the new adventure. The goodbyes you will say are only temporary. I know some people did not want to miss out on the final year events at Stellenbosch… but the adventure that you will have in Netherlands will be better than anything in Stellenbosch (where you have been for a few years now)

You should definitely sign up for the Orientation Week Leiden as it will introduce you to the town and to great people that you will spend the year studying with.

When you arrive:

claire-kotze-claire-kotze-pic-2

Things will be crazy at first. I went in 2 weeks before class started, so that I could do all my admin, and also feel a bit more at home before Uni started. You will need to register with the Town hall, and open a bank account for the bursary money. You will need the bank account for everything – they love using “Pinnen” as they call it! Do not bother with Rabbobank, as the University advises. Go to ING first. Much Easier. For cell phone data, go to Vodafone and get a pay as you go Ü Bundle. You will need it to GPS around!  Dirk Van der Broek is the cheapest grocery store, and Kruidvat is the cheapest for toiletries. For extra money you could work at the English pub, but I signed up to participate in research at the psychology department for extra money (something is better than nothing!)

You should explore Leiden and its surrounds. The Netherlands is probably my favourite country on earth besides South Africa. Try and meet locals. Travel by train (Get the OV Card for it to be cheaper and look for the “DagKaartje” and weekend deals at Kruidvat, Hema and Albert Huyn!!!)

claire-kotze-claire-kotze-pic-4

I also need to say that Amsterdam is not a true depiction of what Holland has to offer. Get around to other towns. Use the Day discount deals to travel to Maastricht and Groningen. I know my friends travelled abroad every single weekend and then in the end they had hardly stayed in Leiden, meanwhile I felt like Leiden was home from the second week.  There are travel companies specifically for students and cheap trips when you do want to go away (Wanderlust, Boldermanreizen, and ISN itself). I also avise you to link up with anyone that you know overseas and to visit them in their home towns. The best way to travel is to do it with someone who knows the non tourist parts and who can really help you get a feel of a city (Also the free accommodation is handy).

Also – the Dutch people don’t smoke weed everyday. Coffee shops are everywhere, but it really is not a big deal to most people. Try and meet Dutch people!!!!!! You are on exchange to feel what it is like to live in another country.  With regards to a bike in the Netherlands: Leiden is tiny. I walked everywhere (I went by bus about 4 times in total). I tried the bike thing and landed up on the floor so many times that I gave up. I loved experiencing it on foot though. Everyday I am amazed at the beauty of Leiden. Everyday I was excited to walk around it. I have one month left here and I plan on appreciating everyday.

The hard bits:

As I say above – I fell in love with my town, and I could live in Netherlands for the rest of my life. But there were some down parts. The first was because of housing and finances. I did not foresee the extra rental cost from November, nor did I foresee that I would have to be here for the whole of Jan and pay Jan rent. At the same time, I was adjusting to living without parents 20 mins away… suddenly you have to buy everything yourself and sort everything out for yourself. To top it all off, I was severely disappointed by friends back home (I am sure you will also find out who your real friends are on this journey). Studying for my two biggest subjects from Stellenbosch whilst everyone else was relaxing was also a massive low for me. The subjects in Leiden are stress free for the most part. They involve participation and presentations but other than that are not the same as Stellenbosch at all. It felt a bit like being on Holiday! Lastly, it took a while to adjust to having Sundays alone. I know I often used to go home on a Sunday or be with family, and my housemates did this too. Being completely home alone for a whole weekend or a Sunday was strange but I grew to like it. I am sure you will also learn to enjoy your own company!

claire-kotze-claire-kotze-pic-1

Besides these, the whole experience was incredible. I regret nothing. Even though finances was an issue – I would not change a thing. I learnt how to budget, I learnt how to make decisions regarding money and prioritising things, and I learnt more about myself in the process. Everything happens for a reason. You will grow on your adventure, I assure you.

Post-departure:

I cannot really tell you about this because I am still on my adventure! I only come back to South Africa at the end of 2017. But I will miss this place more than I can explain. I know it is going to be a massive adjustment, but I will be back to my second home at some stage I know !