Nina at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Pre-departure preparation: To Amsterdam!

Thanks to the support offered by both the International Office at Stellenbosch University, and my host University in Amsterdam, the administration aspect of my preparation was very easy. I was also really lucky to have a European passport, which meant that I didn’t have to deal with any of the stress and admin related to the process of applying for a Visa. The following things are important to take note of in terms of pre-departure admin:

• Find out whether you need to apply for a residence permit. Since I had a European passport, this did not apply to me, but I did need to register with the Municipality when I arrived in Amsterdam.

• It is very important that you make copies of all your travel documents. I suggest that additionally to the hard copies, you should upload electronic copies of these documents and save them in a Dropbox folder (just in case).
  • Spend sufficient time reading up on your specific course and the different subjects that you will be able to choose from. Make sure to pay particular attention to the language of instruction when you are registering for your courses!
  • Arranging your accommodation may be one of the most important aspects if your pre-departure preparation. I suggest that you do some research about the different areas and neighbourhoods before you finalise your accommodation, because where you live will have a very big influence on your exchange experience.
  • In terms of money, it really depends on where you are doing your exchange. Amsterdam was a very expensive city to live in. Even with my monthly stipend, my budget was always very tight. Depending on your course and your Visa/ student permit, it may be possible to work to earn some extra money. I au-paired for a Dutch family while I was studying. Although this meant that my schedule was quite full, I made enough money to do quite a bit of travelling (which I strongly recommend).
  • The last thing that you will need to do before you leave is to pack. My advice is to pack as little as possible. Only pack what you really need. However, it is also really important to pack the right things. If you are heading into a European winter, like I was, it is crucial that you have the right gear. And by this I mean, a practical, albeit not very fashionable, K-way jacket. It will save your life! I suggest that you do some research about the climate and make sure that you are well prepared for the weather.

The Amsterdam Experience:

As a city, you cannot do better than Amsterdam. It is incredibly accessible and really easy to get around. All you need is a bicycle (this is an absolute must!) and you can get to just about anywhere in city within 15 minutes. Amsterdam has a reputation for not being very friendly to new and struggling cyclists, and although the traffic can sometimes be a bit crazy, I got used to it very quickly. The city itself is a hub of activity and excitement, I guarantee that you will always have things to do and see. As for the academic experience, the University of Amsterdam was different to Stellenbosch in a few ways:

• The classes were much smaller, most of them only had about 20 students and the biggest had about 40. I really enjoyed this aspect, because it meant I could actively participate in class and engage with my classmates.
  • The teaching method was slightly different. We were encouraged to take part in discussions with one another in almost every class. Many of the lecturers acted more as facilitators for these discussions than merely standing in front of the class and giving a lecture.
  • The lecturers were also a lot more informal and I felt really comfortable approaching them and engaging with them on a more equal level.
  • The workload was more or less the same, but we were expected to do a lot more “self-study” than at Stellenbosch.
  • The means of assessment was also more or less the same. When handing in essays and meeting deadlines, I found that lecturers were less strict than at Stellenbosch, but on the other hand, I found their marking standards to be higher.

The University of Amsterdam is similar to the Stellenbosch campus, in the sense that the actual campus forms part of the city. This can make it confusing initially, but ultimately makes it so much for interesting and exciting. The University staff members were all incredibly helpful and friendly. This seems to be an attribute of the Dutch in general- they are really easy to approach and most of them are eager to help you.

Returning to South Africa: Culture Shock 2.0

By the end of my stay in Amsterdam I was ready to come home. I missed my family, friends and the sun! Even though I was having a tough time enduring the European winter, I hadn’t realized how well my body had actually adapted to the below 0 temperatures.  As much as I was looking forward to the sun on my skin, I was not prepared for the South African summer. The aspect of the lifestyle in Amsterdam that I will probably miss the most, is the independence and ease with which one can get around the city. Amsterdam is set up in such a way that if you have a bicycle, you are literally a king! It is so easy and so safe to cycle around the city (no one even wears a helmet!)

This exchange was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I have learnt so much about the world and even more about myself. I would love to continue my studies abroad and look forward to exploring new places and meeting new people. This experience has enriched my life in so many ways and has made me feel more independent, confident and capable of tackling new challenges, however daunting they may seem at first. I will be forever grateful for this truly life-changing experience.