Victor at West Virginia University, USA

As an International Studies student, my choice to study in the US was based on the leading position the country holds in International Affairs, though this position may recently have come under strain. Studying at West Virginia University was truly an amazing experience, but before we get to that…

Tired of your friends rattling on and on and on… about how eye-opening, culture shocking and simply amazing their semester exchange abroad was. You’ve made up your mind, you’ve done your research and you’ve found a programme that has a perfect blend of academics and the “kuier” culture we’re so accustomed to here at Stellenbosch University. You’ve got the brochures, the go-aheads, the thumbs up, you’re good to go… but are you really?

Administrāre, origin Latin:  to assist, manage the affairs of. If there is one thing to dissuade you from an exchange experience, it’s these 5 simple yet oh so frustrating letters A-D-M-I-N… Oh and did I mention Admin? Your reference letters include no referencing, your motivational letter/video has motivated you to push forward and finally, you’ve completed your Learning Agreement. After many revisions, including the removal of Zombie Apocalypse Studies – an offering at the University of Baltimore – it is done. You’ve spilled your heart out to your tutors, professors and heads of department only to appear from out the dust clouds, victorious with all 4-6 signatures like Ash Ketchum and his buddy Pikachu! That’s right, you’re never alone; SU staff and that of Stellenbosch University International (SU International) are all there to transform your mountain into a molehill. The opportunities are made available to you, take them, I can say that everyone at SU International really want to see you succeed.

Submitted… accepted… elated… you’ve made it, congratulations! Now all that’s left to do is check the cheques and balances, make sure you’re fighting fit and apply for your VISA.  In order to apply for a student visa in the US, you will be required to pay a SEVIS fee of around $180, as well as your I-20/DS 2019 forms which indicate your eligibility for exchange, sponsors and enrolled programme in the US etc. These you will receive from your host institution and are crucial to your visa application and interview which consists of a simple line of Q&A’s such as “What is the purpose for the Visa?” “Will you be receiving any financial support?” My visa was approved immediately following the interview and issued 3 days later. By now, you’ve done a lot of things, but with visa in hand, it’s time to book your flight to a new and exciting adventure.

Experience at the Host University:

I arrived at Dulles International Airport in Washington DC, however other options include Pittsburgh International which is approximately 2 hours away from Morgantown, home to the Mountaineers! Initially I was placed in Arnold hall, however 2 weeks into my exchange I transferred into International House. A place where I met friends from all over the world including Spain, Mexico, Australia, Denmark, South Korea, Japan, Egypt, China, the UK, Saudi Arabia, India, Morocco and Nigeria. Unfortunately Spring 2017 would be the last time these residences would be made available. Nevertheless, here I made the best of friends and now have homes in countries across the globe. As an International Studies student, my choice to study at West Virginia University in the US, was based on the leading position the country holds in International Affairs, although this position may recently have come under strain. As a non-degree student, my subjects included the equivalents of my modules back home (as per the learning agreement). The US certainly holds itself in high regard as far as politics is concerned. The “policeman” of the world, the United States of America is involved in politics across the globe which in my opinion makes them overly paranoid in as far as international affairs goes. Be that as it may, it was very insightful to experience the differing worldviews held in a country such as the US, especially when weighing them up against a country such as ours. For 5 months, the I-house was my home. I know that we were advised to reach outside of our comfort zones and make friends with the locals, something I was at first reluctant to do, but staying within the comfort that is a group of exchange students is so easy to do.

During orientation which lasted one whole week, fellow international students and I, had the entire campus to ourselves, to explore and to get to know each other better. We did everything together, dinner, studying (if we got any done) and travelling. I’m sad but also so very grateful for being a part of the I-house. There is so much to do, depending on which semester you attend: Spring (Basketball Season) Fall (Football Season) and the games are all free for students to attend. If you’re more outdoorsy than sporty, there are weekly hikes, ski trips and white water rafting. If you’re looking to get out of Morgantown, out of West Virginia State, the state and city of New York, Chicago, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or New Jersey is only a short road trip away. A trip further shortened when shared with others! An important thing to remember, however, is that along with the fun and games, you are essentially on exchange to study so treat your exchange like a study holiday.

Return to Stellenbosch:

You won’t want to come back. I mean why would you? Yes, your friends and family miss you and eagerly await your arrival and tall tales of grandeur, but surely they can wait a little longer? My sentiments were the same. Having finished my exchange, visa expired (you’re granted 30 days mercy) I travelled around Washington DC with friends, but the trip would eventually come to an end on the 18th of May, as I was on a 17 hour flight back to OR Tambo international. Welcome home… does not sound as heart-warming when you feel as though 5 months were not enough to really make you homesick. However waiting to board the plane home, surrounded by chatter in Afrikaans, isiZulu and isiXhosa, I felt a slight tug pulling me back home. It was not hard returning to everyday life. The hardest thing I had to do was get used to the lack of free Wi-Fi everywhere I went (first world problems). I’m only kidding.

Family and friends exhaust you with questions, but you’re all too happy to tell them of your exploits (well, not all of them). Coming home is definitely not without noticeable change. Firstly, food portions are much larger and cheaper than in South Africa. Supermarkets are super markets and “bakkies” are trucks, google “Ford f150” or “RAM” trucks. Everything is bigger, but not necessarily better. In a land where the legal drinking age is 21, the right to vote and the license to kill is granted at 18 and permission to drive at 16, you wouldn’t be wrong to ask why. My stay further took place within the first 100 days of President D. Trump’s administration. A trying time for a divided America, but further affected close friends and thus myself when the travel ban was temporarily set in place. An action that certainly had life changing consequences for international students of affected countries.

Be that as it may, WVU and staff at the WVU International Office were quick to rally behind in support of their students. As an international relations student and one eager to achieve global citizenry status, my experience has made me realise that the world is as small as you make it. Get out of your comfort zone, take every opportunity presented to you to explore this earth, its many inhabitants, their cultures and traditions. It is enriching, eye-opening and fun… it’s just so much fun. The opportunities are made available to you. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not, because everyone at SU International want to see you succeed – they are your no. 1 supporters. You will leave with what you have, but honestly come back with so much more.  Do I plan on going abroad again? Do you need to ask?!

Montani Semper Liberi – “Mountaineers are Always Free”