International Celebration DayLegacyMarine ScienesSEAmester

Akhona and Aimee building their Antarctic Legacy

Two Marine Sciences learners have been selected to join the SEAmester expedition. We wish them all the best!

“The ocean has always been a source of comfort for me since I was young. It was a place that piqued my curiosity yet calmed me at the same time. I am eager to learn and discover new things about the ocean. I intend to use this opportunity to its full potential and learn as much as I can and share this knowledge with others and help spread information by informing people about the environment. As someone who is interested in engineering and marine biology this is a dream come true. From this experience I hope to expand my horizons. I would hope to improve both my theoretical knowledge and problem-solving abilities by getting hands-on experience performing actual scientific research if I were granted the opportunity to work aboard a research vessel. Since study in these kinds of environments is by its very nature a collaborative endeavour, this chance would also promote cooperation and teamwork. I could learn specialised information in fields like oceanography, climate science, or marine biology, depending on the topic of the research. Finally, living and working aboard the vessel would help me grow personally by encouraging flexibility and resilience. These are the main advantages that I see coming from an experience this enriching.” – Aimee Stollie, Morester Akademie, VanRhynsdorp

The perfect words to describe the feeling I get when I enter our Marine Sciences classroom are hard to find. What a privilege it is to be exposed to such a fascinating and mesmerising subject that beckons exploration and study of the oceans intricate relationship with humans . The vastness of the ocean and the mysteries it holds has opened up a whole new world for me to explore and understand beyond my capabilities. The SEAmester opportunity would be an incredibly transformative experience for me as I would be the first in my family and community to delve into the captivating world of marine sciences. My friends back in Durban often express their confusion when I tell them about this subject. “You mean like, you study fish?” they ask, amused. But the truth is far from it. This program represents more than just a chance to learn; it symbolizes breaking barriers and paving the way for future endeavors. As a well-mannered and sociable individual, I am confident that I would seamlessly integrate into this new environment alongside university students, absorbing knowledge like a sea sponge. My curiosity has driven me to explore marine topics beyond the confines of the classroom. Not only would this opportunity propel me towards my dream of studying marine biology abroad, but it would also serve as the catalyst for initiating an awareness program within my community. Through this experience, I aim to equip myself with the skills necessary to give back to underprivileged schools in Durban, bridging the gap and providing access to invaluable marine education where it lacks.” – Akhona Zonda, Simon’s Town School

Thank you to Dr Mariette Wheeler  of WCED for information, photos and video clips. We wish her all the best for her SEAmester Expedition departing from East Pier, V & A Waterfront on Tuesday 18 June 2024.

Join the discussion