Support Services

Centre for Undergraduate Bursaries and Loans (CUBL)

The Centre for Undergraduate Bursaries and Loans (CUBL) forms part of the Finance division at Stellenbosch University (SU). Our team of professional financial aid practitioners support prospective and current undergraduate students who wish to apply for funding by granting and administering bursaries in a sustainable manner.

There are two main eligibility criteria: financial need and academic merit. The SU Funding Opportunities application process is online and once all support documents have been prepared, the form will take about 15 minutes to complete. The Undergraduate Excellence Awards are based solely on academic achievement and there is no application process.

Stellenbosch University has limited funds available, and an application for SU funding is not a guarantee that funding will be granted. Students are therefore encouraged to also look beyond the University for financial support, for example, government bodies, private companies, and bank/study loans.

We are committed to broadening access to higher education by informing students about the funding opportunities that are available to ensure that no academically deserving student is prevented from further study due to financial need. Each student at SU is, however, personally responsible for making financial provision for the settlement of their Student Fees account.

For more information on funding/bursaries, and for Student Fees, please visit the websites.


empty tag

I am a prospective student, what must I do before I can apply for financial assistance?

Applications are done online, before you can complete the online application you will need an active application to the university for the following year, have a student number and a password that begins with the word Sun.

If you have not yet completed an application to the university you can do so online by going to

How do I know if I qualify for financial assistance?

Financial assistance is offered to all applicants who come from a household earning less than R350 000 per annum.

From 2018 all first time entry (FTEN) students who register for their first undergraduate qualification for the first time at a public university with a gross household income not exceeding R350 000 qualifies for the NSFAS DHET Bursary Scheme.

What documents will I be required to submit to support my request for financial assistance?

The relevant documents, from the list of documents below, will be required when submitting an application for financial assistance:

  • Certified copy of ID for all members of the family living in the house; and/or
  • Pay slips of both parents or guardians; and/or
  • If pensioner, must provide proof of pension income (SASSA letter); and/or
  • Bank Statements of income earners in the household; and/or
  • If own business, must provide last audited statements, and when new audit is out for current year, can be submitted for additional proof; and/or
  • Letter from bookkeeper or Accountant; and/or
  • Tax Assessment; and/or
  • If unemployed, a sworn affidavit confirming this signed by the parent(s)/guardian(s); and/or
  • If family receive survival income from family, friends, community etc., please provide proof and a sworn affidavit confirming this and amount(s)

Please note: that all income must be declared!

I have heard about the Recruitment Bursary; how do I apply for it?

The Recruitment Bursary is a strategic bursary of the university to increase the diversity in the demographics of the student body. Prospective students cannot apply for this bursary. All applicants who fall into the designated groups that are identified for the Recruitment Bursary and who have an average of 70% or higher on their application mark will be considered to be made an offer by our Centre for Student Recruitment.​

I have heard about the Merit Bursary; how do I apply for it?

Prospective Students

This is available for all Prospective Students who achieve 90% or higher average (excluding LO and Math’s Paper 3) in their Gr 12 final year results. NSC and IEB students DO NOT need to apply for this bursary as their results are automatically received by the University.

Only students who completed their exam two or more years prior to the year in which they plan to join the University, as well as candidates who completed their exam outside the provincial education departments, are required to apply for these merit bursaries by submitting a certified copy of their matric certificate to the Undergraduate Bursary Office.

The final approval for the continuation of the Merit Bursaries is made in May annually thus the awards is not guaranteed.


Current Students

Do not need to apply for this bursary. All eligible students will automatically receive this bursary based on the criteria for senior merit bursary awards.

How big is the Merit Bursary?

The Merit Bursary​is calculated as a percentage of the basic tuition cost (excluding module- and program costs).​

If my family earn between R350 000 and R600 000 per annum, are there any bursaries that I can apply for?

Yes. There is a wide range of company, trust and individual bursaries that are available in the bursary application that you can apply for that do not disqualify you from applying for based on household income. The details of these bursaries can be viewed in the Bursaries and Loans Calendar.

Are there any bursaries that I can apply for that are faculty specific?

Yes. It is imperative that you also look at faculty specific bursaries that you might qualify for and ensure that you apply for them. The list and details of these can be found in the Bursaries and Loans Calendar.

When will I know if my application for Stellenbosch University financial assistance has been successful?

Prospective Students will receive notification from March confirming an offer of financial assistance from SU institutional funds. External bursaries that SU manages will inform students by May the following year.

If I am receiving financial assistance, do I need to pay the first instalment of my tuition fees at Registration?

If you are receiving financial assistance where the amount that you will be receiving is greater than the first compulsory instalment, you will not need to pay the first instalment of your tuition fees.

If I am receiving financial assistance, do I need to pay the residence deposit?

If you are receiving financial assistance from the university which covers your tuition and residence costs in full, or if you are receiving a Conditional award and/or receiving a NSFAS Bursary or external financial aid you will not need to pay the residence deposit.

If I am offered a Recruitment Bursary and/or Financial Assistance, can I lose it?

Yes. The Recruitment Bursary and Financial Assistance Bursaries are given on condition of continued good academic performance. Your letter offering the financial assistance will contain the terms and conditions you will have to meet to retain the financial aid in the subsequent year.

Do I need to reapply for the financial assistance every year?

Yes. Family situations can drastically change in a year. You will need to reapply between June and November to receive the financial assistance in the following year. Recipients of the Recruitment Bursary will not need to re-apply, this will be automatically re-awarded as long as the academic achievements required for the bursary are met.

When do I start to repay any loans given to me?

You are only required to start repaying the loans when you graduate from Stellenbosch University, or when you discontinue your studies at Stellenbosch University. Our Debtors Office is best placed to advise you further on what this process would entail.

Can I use my Financial Assistance to pay for text books etc.?

Depending on the amount awarded to you. The expenses are dealt with according to a priorities list that you Bursary Coordinator will explain to you.

Sports Bursaries

If you have provincial or national colors for a sports code, there might be a specialized sports bursary that you could apply for. You will need to email your details to to enquire about the bursaries.



What will my fees be for the year?

Get a quotation at

First click on “Fees” and then on “Provisional statement of fees (quotation)”.

Will I get a discount for early payment of my full study fees for the year?

You may apply for a 3% rebate on tuition fees if the full amount is paid before 31 March.

Both my brother and I are enrolled this year. Will we get a discount?

No. An application for a 10% rebate on study fees may only be submitted if three or more members of the same family are simultaneously enrolled as full-time students at Stellenbosch University.

Can I pay my tuition fees and (if applicable) residence fees in monthly instalments?

Yes, we do offer a debit order option, which is processed from 1 April to 1 November each year.

Whom can I contact with queries regarding my student account?
How often do parents/students receive account statements?

Account statements are sent via e-mail four to six times a year.

Must my student account be settled in full before I can register for the following year?

Yes, students cannot register before all outstanding amounts have been settled.