Legacy

Goodbye but not farewell to Anche Louw Co-Investigator of the Antarctic Legacy of South Africa

Anche Louw started as employee of ALSA many years ago and moved on to Co-Investigator of ALSA.  Anche is leaving the Antarctic community in official capacity but will always be part of the legacy. As overwintering team member on Marion Island as well as takeovers on Marion and at SANAE  and her great work within the LASA project she is leaving a great legacy behind.  Anche we wish you all the best with your exciting new venture! Please keep in touch with the Antarctic Community of South Africa – tot weersiens!

I would like to share her letter to the community to you all:

“It is with a blend of emotions that I write to bid farewell to the esteemed marine and Antarctic community as I transition into a new chapter of my career within the agricultural sector. My journey with the South African National Antarctic Programme (SANAP) has been profoundly meaningful, shaping both my personal and professional growth in ways I could never have imagined.

Reflecting on my tenure within SANAP, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the myriad of opportunities and experiences that have enriched my life. My involvement traces back to 2011 when I embarked on what initially seemed like an unknown adventure to Marion Island. I owe immense thanks to Professor Valdon Smith for extending to me this transformative opportunity, which not only led to academic pursuits but also fostered a lifelong friendship.

My journey continued as I became part of the overwintering team on Marion70 (2013-2014), affording me invaluable insights and connections that paved the way for subsequent roles within the Antarctic Legacy of South Africa (ALSA) project. Under the guidance of Ria Olivier, I transitioned from a communicator to Assistant Project Manager and eventually Co-Investigator of ALSA, proudly representing South Africa on various international platforms. My recent role within the South African Polar Research Infrastructure (SAPRI) has been equally rewarding. Serving as the Digital Marketing and Communications Manager and subsequently as the Society Manager, I’ve had the privilege of collaborating with like-minded individuals dedicated to advancing marine and polar science for the betterment of society.

Throughout my tenure, I’ve been fortunate to work alongside passionate individuals who share a deep commitment to the Antarctic region. Together, we’ve navigated challenges, celebrated successes, mourned losses, and formed enduring friendships that transcend professional boundaries. To all those who have been part of my journey, I extend my heartfelt gratitude. Your contributions have left an indelible mark on my life, and I will forever cherish the memories we’ve created together,” Anche

Images on Marion Island and SANAEIV

Join the discussion