Claire at the AC21 Student World Forum

RITUALISTIC PLANNING BEFORE I LEFT:

After getting over the excitement and shock at being selected for such an incredible opportunity, I started planning. Before the travel bursary was discussed I started looking at flight prices and times. I used Travelstart to book my flights- that website really is the best way to find the cheapest flight. I was lucky to be able to extend my stay for three nights in Basel, where I had a friend. I bought train tickets online and they delivered it to my house- all very easy- google Eurorail South Africa and it is simple from there! I did not have to get a VISA because I am a British citizen, so that was another benefit for me . I suggest learning a few words of the country you visit, just to communicate in the shops. I had to resort to sign language very often.

As soon as I knew I would be going, I started saving money. I KNEW the shops would be amazing- and they did not disappoint!! It is better to over compensate for money than to be stuck with no money in emergencies. I too twenty euros that I had from a family member, and the rest I planned to draw from ATM’s there. Check the weather and cater for weather changes- I had to buy an extra jacket because of the night cold! Make sure you warn your lecturers in advance, and make an arrangements for the handing in of assignments beforehand or through special means while you are away.

At the airport before I left to Strasbourg

A TASTE OF HEAVEN:

This was an incredible experience. I would not change it for the world. We started with a fabulous welcoming dinner and ice breaker, and even tried some traditional French food. The food as a whole for the week was BRILLIANT. We ate like kings at every meal, and all came back a bit heavier than before. The AC21 team spoilt us and allowed us to go to restaurants for three course meals almost every night. Everything was incredibly well organised and nothing went wrong throughout the whole programme.

Selfie at council of Europe
Selfie at council of Europe

The first academic focus was an introduction to the European Union and its functioning, as well as a talk on the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities, and European Charter of Self Government. These were quite lengthy discussions and I understood most of it, however I think I was still a bit jet lagged so I may not have concentrated completely. The second session was with Janosch Nieden- speaking on the alliance project of five universities in the Upper Rhine Area. This was incredibly interesting and helped us understand what it really means to collaborate across borders. The universities share resources, lecturers, classes and courses to improve themselves. Brilliant concept and I really enjoyed his discussion. Further plenary discussions included topics like the role of the Regional Cooperation for Democracy and Protection of Human Rights, environmental projects and the EU, Sustainable development in the Upper-Rhine Valley and cross border business cooperation.

We had interactive discussions on the topics, and in the workshops we had time to develop our own solutions to the issues, relevant to our own countries. It was an incredibly interesting exchange of ideas and thoughts. We visited iconic structures like the European Parliament and the Council of Europe, and then had further tourist outings at least once a day. We also visited Freiburg in Germany for a day outing- something that was a definite highlight to the trip.
Besides learning about these different topics, one also learns from those that participated in the AC21 Student Forum with me, representing the different countries. There were 11 different countries represented at the forum, and I was able to learn something more about each one. The bonds we created as a group were lifelong- it was a treat to wake up every morning to people with the same passion for life as me, and a desire to go out and find answers.

COMING DOWN FROM CLOUD NINE:

It was extremely difficult coming back home to load shedding, to Xenophobia, to language fights and racism on campus. It seemed like so much drama coming from Switzerland, which is like a bubble of perfection, where everyone works based on trust and nothing seems to go wrong, the streets are perfect, buildings are in good condition, there is no litter or homeless people in sight. One can get addicted to that life. The so-called “Utopia state” of Switzerland. The whole trip was a mini holiday from my academic and leadership responsibilities, and it was addictive. Europe is incredible. I was admittedly very sad to return home.

However, once I was back here I quickly adjusted in to South Africa. I remembered why I love this place, and that while it may not be an easy life here, it is a fulfilling one and an exciting one. I embraced the vibrant nature of the people, the challenges one is faced with everyday and from which one emerges stronger at the end, the energy and passion of the country, the news headlines which can supplement a soap opera at times, and most of all my wonderful Stellenbosch, which I call home. I had to suddenly catch up on academic work and quickly slot in to my meetings and other responsibilities, and it took a while to get my head around the fact that a few days before I had been standing in the European Parliament in France.

From this experience I have firstly formed friendships with people all over the world. Lasting friendships that I will continue to follow up on Facebook. I learnt more about the countries that were represented, and specifically about the countries I visited. Strasbourg, France and Freiburg, Germany were incredible places with so much history and a huge story behind them. It was brilliant to be able to get hands on experience and knowledge from professionals and experts. I have come back a better person- with a better view of the world and of how South Africa fits into the bigger picture. It has increased my desire to travel even more and I will have my heart set on the exchange in final year. The world is your oyster- one need only grab it!!!