Caitlin at the EBS Business School

Pre-departure:

It goes without saying, that an opportunity to study abroad is an incredible experience and as SU students we very lucky to have SU International to afford us these opportunities. I have always wanted to travel overseas and going on an academic exchange program seemed like a good idea and so I thoroughly researched the various programs that SU International had to offer. That’s my first tip – RESEARCH. One of my favourite motto’s is “Luck Favours the Prepared” and this was definitely true for the entire experience from beginning to end.

When I heard I had been accepted for the EBS program I was ecstatic and immediately started to research the area, the school, flight tickets, VISA requirements, etc. I decided to book my flights and insurance myself, instead of through a travel agency, because I was able to get cheaper rates through help from family members who travel frequently. However, if going through an agency is a little more expensive, but gives you peace of mind, then go for that. Do whatever works for YOU.

Ursula from EBS was amazing when it came to preparing us for the trip. She regularly sent us information and documents in the month leading up to our departures, ranging from where to get our VISA’s, where we would be staying and what items & clothes we would need to take with. SU International knows what they’re doing and can be very helpful, so don’t be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS on topics that haven’t been covered yet.

When it comes to packing, be mindful of your luggage weight restrictions. THINK AHEAD to not only what you’re taking abroad, but also what you’ll be bringing back. I can guarantee that you’ll head back home with lots of gifts and souvenirs in your suitcase. Rather take LESS and buy what you need there. With regards to clothes, remember that European summers are not quite as warm as African summers. I would recommend taking at least one pair of long pants, closed shoes, a hoodie/jacket and warm shirt. You can get away with jeans, t-shirts and comfortable shoes.

I was determined to experience as much as I possibly could on this trip, and planned to visit Paris and Zurich. Because of tight finances and the weak Rand, I had to BOOK IN ADVANCE all my accommodation and travel fares.

My academic advice to you is to FOCUS on your ongoing academics. It’s easy to lose track of assignments and upcoming exams while you daydream about German pretzels and sightseeing. Your good marks are partly what got you accepted into the program, so don’t forget to keep working hard.

Lastly, don’t forget to GET EXCITED! Count down the days, share the excitement with your friends and family and be ready for an adventure.

Experience at Host University:

Words alone cannot express how this experience has changed my life or how much it has meant to me. We had three weeks of intense academic work and cultural experience and I can best describe the time there as “work hard, play hard”.

caitlin-troup-caitlin-troup_picture-2

The academic program, for the most part, was incredibly interesting and broadened my horizons of interest exponentially. The lecturers were phenomenal, many of them experts in their fields. Our first lecture covered the Germany economic landscape and history, preparing us with a better understanding for the content of the next three weeks. We covered a large array of topics including human resource management, the German auto-industry, European economic integration and cross-border acquisitions.

I cannot fully compare the EBS content with that of Stellenbosch, as I had never before done modules such as HR management or business mergers. However, I did notice similarities in the quality of theoretical knowledge, albeit different application thereof. For obvious reasons, EBS applies theory European examples and SU utilises South African examples. My initial apprehension was quickly dispelled as I learnt in German classes, one is very much encouraged to ask questions and give input in class. It also helped that our classmates were very accepting, regardless of whether you ask many questions, or none at all.

Be prepared to be pushed out of your comfort zone and learn about things that you may never have considered before.

caitlin-troup-caitlin-troup_picture-3

In additional to classroom experiences, EBS also took us on field trips, the first to Strasbourg in France, where we visited the EU Parliament and Council of Europe. As a political science student, I found these trips immensely exciting and incredibly fascinating. We were all blown away by the beauty of Strasbourg, enjoyed a visit to a magnificent Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg and had amazing ice creams in the summer sun.

Our other trip was to the Audi factory in Ingolstadt and to the town of Heidelberg. We were lucky to have a guided tour through Audi and had a unique look at how German car manufacturing operates. Heidelberg was beautiful and we had a chance to do some wonderful sightseeing in the old town, dotted with churches and castles.

caitlin-troup-caitlin-troup_picture-5

The town we stayed in, Oestrich-Winkel, is a very old town, situated near the Rhein river and is surrounded by wine farms. Our classes were conducted inside an old castle and the two social events that we had took place in an underground wine cellar – a very unique experience. On our last day, we travelled to the Kloster Eberbach Abbey where we had a tour and wine tasting, followed by a long hike back down to the school for the farewell barbeque.

caitlin-troup-caitlin-troup_picture-4

A special mention must be made to the people – my fellow South Africans who helped me grow as a person, Ursula, who helped us all find our feet in an unfamiliar country and my fellow classmates who I came to love very dearly and with whom I have forged lifelong friendships. It was an unforgettable experience.

Return to Stellenbosch:

The return home was bittersweet as I was looking forward to returning home and seeing my family and getting some rest before the new semester, but I was sad to leave so much behind.

At first, it felt like I hadn’t left at all. The entire experience was so surreal and if not for the photos, I would have thought that I had imagined it all. But gradually, it has all sank in and I have returned to ‘reality’. However, reality has not been quite the same since I’ve been back.

For one, the world has not changed and yet I see everything in a new light. My perspective has changed. I look at architecture with more appreciation, I have more consideration to the people around me and I have a different understanding to how the world work. I have more moments where I just take a breath and look what’s around me in that very second.

I have tried to appreciate life more and ‘live in the moment’, as clichéd as that sounds. You need to be aware of the fact that what you have experienced is truly unique and many people will not understand when you try and explain it to them. Going abroad (especially on your own) changes you and you learn new things that others cannot appreciate. And that’s ok. It doesn’t make them any less of a person or you any better, it just makes you different. When I talk about the trip, I find that people who have also travelled abroad understand my experience better than others who have not yet done so.

I have made lifelong friends at EBS and thanks to social media, a few of us have kept in touch since them through sharing “throwbacks” on Facebooks or sending Snapchats to each other. I miss them terribly but I cherish the memories we made on our adventures.