Nadia at Åbo Akademi, Finland

Pre-departure: Finland Bound

Preparing for my exchange was simple: the support offered by both the International Office and my host university made the process easy and stress-free. I was also in the fortunate position that I did not need to do a Visa application so I was spared that admin, stress and expenditure. In terms of pre-departure admin the following things were on my checklist:

1) Make sure your travel documents are in order: I suggest you have certified copies made of everything and upload scans of it all to a Dropbox account

2) Find out whether you would need to apply for a resident or study permit: in my case I didn’t need either, because I was lucky to have a European passport, but I did have to register at the department of home affairs upon my arrival

3) Research the different subjects you are allowed to take: the best part of my exchange was being able to take really interesting subjects that I would never have been able to take at Stellenbosch. Make sure you are aware of all your options and that you have your learning agreement finalised as quick as possible.

4) Accommodation: be sure you know your responsibilities in terms of arranging accommodation – I was lucky enough that my exchange agreement automatically included accommodation that the university arranged for me. My agreement also covered these expenses so it was fantastic to live in the heart of the student action without having to worry about paying rent.

5) Money matters: do research about what it would cost to live in the city you are visiting. Finland was even more expensive than I had expected. Despite being in the fortunate position of receiving a monthly stipend I still felt the pinch at the end of every month. Make sure you are aware of any possible expenses you might need to incur shortly after arrival eg registration fee

The most important thing that was left for me to do was to pack – a task that is not quite as simple as one would like it to be. It is necessary to do some research before you start packing for Finland – it should come as no surprise that the climate is considerably different to ours and unless you have prior experience with it I am almost certain you will not be prepared without proper research. Make an effort to contact students who previously visited Finland – it helps to gain perspective from the experiences of those who previously went through the process. When it comes to the Finnish winter there is just one rule in my mind: pride will do you no good – bite the bullet and swop your fashionability for functionality!

Experience at Host University: The Suomi Way

Finland is not only geographically at the opposite end of the world, but culturally as well. I can admit that the first two weeks were tough – I had left the South African winter for the Finnish summer and yet it was colder than at home! I also became immediately aware that the Finnish people imitate their climate: they are cold and distant at first, but give them some time and soon they’ll warm to you and become extremely friendly and helpful! The academic experience was completely different from that at Stellenbosch, these are some of the differences:

1) I had a lot more freedom in terms of choosing subjects.

2) The time table does not run from Monday to Friday, but rather they work in week-schedules: this means that some weeks I might only have class on a Monday and Wednesday and other weeks I might not have class at all – it truly is amazing! The difficulty with this for me, however, was that it became rather difficult to develop a good routine. Considering the fact that I still had to self-study my home courses it was important for me to get into a routine.

3) The classes are much smaller: it’s great to sit in a class of 30 or 40 instead of 200 – it offers the opportunity to get to know all your classmates, but also to engage in class discussions without feeling intimidated or nervous.

4) The teaching method was fantastic: our classes were robust discussions and debates – no more rigid lectures. The teachers were informal and made the effort to learn all of our names – there was none of the arrogance I have experienced from Stellenbosch lecturers.

5) The assessment: at Stellenbosch we’ve been trained to handle a massive amount of theory, case law and legislation and study it in a way that we are able to apply it to a practical set of facts – at Abo Akademi the amount of theory you need to study is very little in comparison. Furthermore, you are never expected to know specific legislation or case law. It is more important to have a grasp on the work and be able to form an opinion on all the different topics The exams all have the same format: 4 essay questions and then you have 4 hours to write. At first I found this task daunting, but I realised I just had to adapt the manner in which I prepared. It was great having more than enough time to write an exam, instead of frantically trying to finish on time. The assignments are short, but more frequent than at Stellenbosch – the perk of this is that you are ‘forced’ to stay up to date with your reading and the content of your work.

The university is much smaller than Stellenbosch and this too is something you need to get used to, but the facilities are fantastic and the staff are friendly and helpful!

Returning: Culture Shock Nr. 2

Towards the end of my stay in Finland I had experienced temperatures reaching -31!! And then I returned to the height of the South African summer! As happy as I was to see the sun again, the heat caught me off guard (despite having spent my entire life enduring it). I spent a month traveling in eastern Europe after the completion of my academic year in Finland – I can highly recommend this: do not rush back home, make the most of the opportunity of being in Europe. It is worth it to do some research and pre-book trips. If you are adamant to return home as soon as possible, then at least make sure you do some traveling during your stay: I did one trip every month (and the academic time table made this easy). If you are strapped for cash remember that you are a student and you can rough it a bit: I made use of couch surfing for most of my destinations – this is not only a free way to travel (accommodation-wise at least), but it is a really fun way to meet new people and explore the surrounding area of your destination.

I have always loved our vibrant and warm cultures in South Africa, but being in a country that is rather homogenous and cold made me gain new appreciation for this. If you want an easy and lavish life, Finland is for you: education and healthcare is top quality AND it is free. Public transport works wonderfully and the state really looks after you. I know South Africa has a lot of flaws and we have a lot of work to do, but I appreciate being raised in a country that faces adversity, because I believe it teaches us to adapt, develop character and face challenges easily – if everything in life always works out then where is the fun in that?

My exchange was the best thing I have ever done for myself! I met the most amazing people, saw the most beautiful places, learnt the most valuable lessons and developed in ways I will probably reflect upon for the rest of my life! I am eager to continue my post-graduate studies abroad and now I know that I can do that: I am able to be in foreign circumstances and solve problems alone. I know now that I can adapt and make friends easily. I have grown in my independence and confidence. I will forever be grateful to the International Office and Abo Akademi for giving me this opportunity!

Featured Image taken by Vincent Guth (https://unsplash.com/search/finland?photo=Gs1ZG7sdP88)