James at UNC Greensboro, USA

Pre-departure:

Making the decision to partake in an international exchange requires a large amount of introspection, commitment and planning. One must be clear about what it is they want to achieve and have at least a few ideas of where they want to go. Stellenbosch International is incredibly resourceful, use the website, set up appointments, ask questions and be curious, this requires you to be proactive and forthcoming-the first step to globalizing your personal outlook. When going through the application process, consider your life plans and logistics, you will be out of the country for at least five months. If you have commitments at home, pets to look after, rents to pay, start having conversations with the necessary stakeholders and always be open and honest about your intentions. You really are spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing a destination, the University has so many incredible partnerships all over the world; consider each package carefully in conjunction with your own personal ambitions and finances. I took the advice of previous participants and the Global Education Centre very seriously in this regard, and decided to go to the US where I was accepted at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I had done a lot of research about the University, the town and the state, to discover what would benefit my personal and academic growth. Contact your potential host University, ask about the courses that you are interested in, this is very important as this is the main reason why you are going!

Photo of Greensboro

The administration and visa application process is straight forward, as long as you are prepared to read all the documents and instructions (there can be a lot). The first part of the US Visa Application takes place online, you do not need proof of tickets or accommodation because you will receive an application package from your host University via the post, this will also have a list of tips and instructions to help you with the Visa Application. Once you have started the process online, have all your passport and ID information at your disposal; you will also need to pay TWO fees (Application & SEVIS) before it is processed. Thereafter, you will receive an appointment date from the US Embassy where you will have to attend a short interview. Save all your steps in the application process and make copies of everything to take with to your interview. They will then ask you your intention of visit, what you are studying and how long you will be staying, very short and sweet.

You will have 30 days before you start class, and 30 days when you end class, to remain in the country and travel. I left a month early to see some of the major cities across the US: New York, Washington DC, San Francisco and Chicago, these were all incredible experiences and I would highly recommend going before classes start as you have very little time off once your academic programme is in full swing.  AirBnB is the most convenient and cheapest way in terms of accommodation, I often rented a room in someone’s home and made a few good friends along the way. Always have extras for your extras; copies of your passports and visa documents, banks cards, extra money…things always end up costing more than you expect! Budget, pack and plan carefully, you don’t have to eat out every night, food and drink are often the most expensive. Pop into a grocery shop, buy some bread and cheese, make sandwiches, and put them in your backpack to eat throughout your day whilst exploring. If you go for the Fall Semester like me, it’ll be extremely hot when you arrive and freezing when you leave, so pack smart and remember to leave a little room to bring back a few gifts and souvenirs.

Experience at the Host University:

My time at the University of North Carolina Greensboro was incredible; I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, the friends that I made, and more specifically, the academic exposure. Going on an exchange can be intimidating at its best, operating in a new country can be difficult, and learning the ins and outs of a new institution and its culture is not smooth sailing either. However, it is always important to remember that uncomfortable situations amount to unprecedented growth and learning. Do not be afraid to do things on your own, this is one of the most positive things that I took from my exchange. These are often the moments when you meet lifelong friends and engage in settings that you may not have done so had you been surrounded by people that you know.

New Friends

Furthermore, when you do start settling in, people often form groups based on their language and/or country/regions of origin, do not fall into this trap! Always be open to new relationships and to pushing boundaries-be comfortable with being uncomfortable. When you arrive, you will most likely find a very empty room with few amnesties bar the bedding that you are given, do not fret, you will have ample opportunity to stock up on all your necessary items, but be prepared to spend some money here. You will also need to work with the people that you are sharing an apartment with so that you buy things for your communal spaces and share the costs equally. I would also recommend setting up a Facebook/WhatsApp group so as to keep communication open, you will need to set up cleaning rosters as the rooms and communal spaces are not serviced. Be warned, this can be a point of tension! Besides all the admin, the first few weeks are the most exciting, this is where you meet all your international cohort, enrol for courses, and discover your surrounds. Greensboro is an interesting city, visit the historical sites, and attend the numerous festivals that are hosted Downtown, there is a bike sharing system called Limebike, they are all over the campus and town, and an easy way to get around.

New friends

My academic experience at UNCG was likely my favourite part, the course offerings are incredibly diverse and in abundance. Choose wisely, and don’t be afraid to sit in on a few classes to get the feel of potential courses. The teaching and assessment style in America is very different, I found it quite frustrating at the beginning, but after a while I loved it, and found it very beneficial for learning. The classes are small, intimate and discussion based (you often get marks for participation and attendance), you will also be assessed continuously, so I often had to hand in a small assignment at every class. This forced me to do every single reading, and I am so grateful for it! Consider taking courses in different departments, even if they do not necessarily compliment your degree, there is always something new to be learned. Remember to always attend your classes, this is not an extended holiday, if you show up and do the work, you will be rewarded with good marks. Also make use of the opportunity to talk to your lecturers, tell them you are on an exchange, ask questions and talk about your career, this is a great way to network and build connections. They are almost always very friendly and very eager to engage.

Returning Home:

Before I left the US, I managed to slip in a few days travelling with the friends that I made at UNCG. I purposefully booked my return flight from New York, which meant that I had to travel to catch my flight home. A few days in Washington DC and New York was the best way to say goodbye, because they can be very difficult! Even now as I write this, I have mixed emotions about being home, and I must admit to feeling slightly emotional when I opened up my photo album to choose the photos for this blog. Towards the end of the exchange I was eager to come back to beautiful South Africa, to see my family and loved ones, however, I do miss my time in the US. I think you miss the adrenalin and constant desire for exploring the unknown, the most. Life can often seem slow and boring after a whirlwind of fun. And trust me it goes so quickly! My best piece of advice is to ensure that you have plans to come back to, make sure you continue to set goals, plan and communicate while you are away, always remember that life does not come to a stand still when you leave home and you’ll often be surprised at how much happens in that short space of time. Stay in touch with your friends and family, and do exciting things together on your return. But be warned; jet leg and the major time change will take about a week to get over.

Another good coping mechanism is to remember that the experience never quite ends, you will have plenty of opportunity to write and talk about it. Relive those memories by staying in contact with the International Office, your friends overseas, and share your story with those who are interested in doing the same. Be sure to complete all the surveys and requests from both University’s, they need your information so as to improve the process for new students. Most importantly, adapting back can be emotionally, physically and mentally draining, always talk to the people close to you and utilise the University services at your disposal. Always remember that you may very soon have another opportunity to travel again, especially considering all the new friends that you would have made from around the world, and you will certainly be more the wiser! I certainly will be doing more travelling, and the whole experience has taught me to appreciate South Africa, as well as providing me with a new global outlook, and an abundance of academic exposure which benefits both my studies and career.

James looking out over a landscape